Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True for quilting too. >

True for quilting too.

True for quilting too.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I went to the Sewing and Quilting Expo in Atlanta yesterday. My husband said something that I know he truly feels; he doesn't want the perfect quilt. He wants the one that was planned, thought out, labored over , and was given with love, warts, and all.
Wonderfully said. I think everyone I know thinks this too.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:41 AM

I have been quilting for a very long time and I know my quilts would never win awards in a quilt show. I gift all my quilts to family and friends they are well loved and treasured by those I have gifted them to and that is enough for me. I am still learning and have learned a lot from the members of the board. I still make a practice block from any new pattern I use. I learned a long time ago I will never stop learning and getting better, just work at it , do your very best and practice anything new. And most of all have fun and enjoy the process.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM

I am so right there with you. I love to sew, and share I will never be a big award winner. However I need to be right where I am at sewing, quilting, sharing making new friends, since YES it feeds my soul and gives value and meaning to my life.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:43 PM

Most of us are not prize-winning quilters. We do what we do because we enjoy the process. That is what nourishes our souls and brings joy to those with whom we share our creations. We may never know what joy our quilts bring to others, but we keep on.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:33 PM

I make my quilts to share and for fun. I did realized this year that I am not really interested in my quilts being judged for prizes, but occasionally just to show what I can do. I was thinking about entering a show this year that has a judged and non-judged section, but then decided not to enter at all. Wasn't in the mood to rush.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:14 PM

No "wonderful speaker" should ever send you away feeling worse than you did before you heard the speech. She speech should have inspired you to keep on keeping on, just as Vonnegut suggested. I just don't understand why everything has to be a competition. I am reminded of the man who bought a cello and played just one note on it. His longsuffering wife finally suggested to him that other cellists move their fingers and bow differently. "Oh, yes," he answered. "They are looking for the perfect note. I have found it." If you are trying to make the perfect quilt you will probably dirive yourself and everyone around you crazy. froggyintexas
Old 03-16-2014, 06:38 PM

Great quote. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-16-2014, 06:39 PM

Take great pride in whatever you accomplish as a quilter, painter, poet or whatever you choose to do or be because the famous ones started out just like you did.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:44 AM

One of our pastors yesterday stated that when we compare ourselves to others we either end up arrogant (feeling superior) or envious (feeling inferior). He was talking about truly loving others and not comparing ourselves to others accomplishments, etc. Think it pertains to quilting as well. I used to go to guild meetings but would leave feeling that my work was not as beautiful and well done as what I was seeing in trunk shows there. It is true, but I am okay with that now. I do the best I can and that is all I can do anyway. Blessings.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:59 AM

Well written. Thanks for the Vonnegut quote. I am dealing with health problems now and my quilting will never come up to my previous abilities, but I quilt some every time I can--not long and not very good, but my family loves what I do and that makes me happy.