Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True for quilting too. >

True for quilting too.

True for quilting too.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

I won't ever put a quilt in a show. I make quilts to suit myself. I give many away and they are very happily received.
I don't make heirloom quilts either, not really sure what they are.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:16 PM

Well said. Thanks for sharing, love the quote.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:54 AM

My quilts are never perfect. I have a friend who uses a small ruler to measure everything.ie, rolling back the cathedral window sections she measured to ensure exact.. When you are by hear it drives me batty. But the other day she was was making a back fixing a pocket on a bag and I realised that her rectangle 10 by 8 was the wrong way. She could not see the different lengths no wonder she has to measure. I'm trying to understand why she does it.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 AM

I have been quilting 20 years. I make very traditional, non spectacular quilts. I always think I have great ideas, then I go to a quilt show and come away feeling very humbled compared to the things I see displayed there. Then I remember the looks on the faces of my quilt recipients and the love that went into making those quilts. Friends have wept upon receiving them. That is when I realize the quilts I make are valuable beyond words. Your skills will grow over the years and you will be be pleased and proud about this but what you feel when giving a quilt make with love is invaluable.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 AM

thank you for sharing this quote!!

i'm in the planning phase of my first "real" quilt. it's going to be a gift for my DS. i was seriously thinking i would farm out some of the work so it could be as perfect as i could afford.

you made me realize that if he wanted perfection, he would have asked me to buy him one.
i will make the best quilt that my skill set will allow me. it will be made with all the love a mother can muster for her one-and-one child. i think he'll be very happy with it.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:11 AM

About ten years ago, I attended a guild meeting in Monterey, Ca and the guest speaker showed her quilts which she made of donated silk kimonos. Honest to goodness, silk. I remember only her first name, Kitty and is from San Francisco. The theme of most of her quilts, cats. But here is the part most of us do not know of these well known quilters/designers. They do not make their own quilts!! As Kitty said, "I designed this quilt and "worked with my people" to get it made. What? Can you imagine, a quilter who doesn't touch a rotary cutter, doesn't select her own fabric? She never stated how many people she has working for her. And just like us, or those of us who can afford to send our quilts to LA'r, she does too. It is the practice of these well known quilters to seek out LA'rs throughout the country and send their quilts to them. So no, even though I haven't seen your quilts, I am sure they are beautiful.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Letty View Post
I am in no way an artist but have found an outlet in creativity.
Letty, I love your post but I have to drag out my soapbox for this sentence!

"I am in no way an artist..." Yes. You. ARE! The second half of your sentence proves it. "..but have found an outlet in creativity."

This is what being an artist is! You ARE an artist! Absolutely, 100%, and don't ever doubt it. We are all born natural artists, and I know you get what I'm saying from your comment about children!! Lots of us (most of us) at some point in our life are told we're not "good enough". Our artwork isn't precise, we didn't color within the lines, whatever it is....someone points out a flaw and we tell ourselves we aren't good enough, that we aren't really artists.

That is WRONG. We are ALL artists, and we can't HELP but be artists because (I believe) it is impossible to be human without being an artist. Professional artists? No, not most of us. But artists nonetheless. And don't let anyone ever convince you otherwise! Even if you can't draw a squiggly line without help, you're still an artist somewhere in your life.

At least, that's the way I see it! *putting away my soapbox*

(Letty, I hope you don't feel picked on, I really mean this to be a positive & supportive post but I'm worried my tone isn't coming through right - this is a topic I'm awfully passionate about and I hope I don't sound to aggressive about it....)
Old 03-23-2014, 04:23 PM

I agree with DebbE and luv TooQUILT. Years ago when I did anything in the craft world I worked on it till was perfect.that was in the 70's . I just thought I liked my crafts. I can truly say it is so much more relaxing, enjoyable now days, because I don't look to be perfect with my projects and what others think. Like y'all have said as long as the receipent likes it and uses it I'm happy.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:32 PM

I make quilts that make me happy. When they get a ribbon it is a bonus. But most don't even make it to a show. Not important. I love putting thread into fabric, it is my therapy, my outlet for creativity, my relaxation. Love the quote.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:40 PM

Love the quote! Thanks for sharing. I enter my quilts in my local show just so others can see it & say 'hey, I could do that!'.
I also have a quilt on my bed that had a huge, at the time, adjustment to a sashing around 1 block. The pattern instructions had an error. Now I have to hunt and hunt to find that particular block with the giant boo boo.