Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to keep costs down >

Trying to keep costs down

Trying to keep costs down

Old 02-18-2022, 06:28 AM

I knew about when I'd retire so decided to grab all the toys I thought I'd need beforehand while I could still afford them as I knew my pension would only be about half of what I was used to bringing in with all my over-time. Also collected a lot of fabric back then. Didn't realized just how much fabric I'd collected until I had to start packing it away as I was also going to sell the house and move back to the midwest.

Once moved, unpacked, etc. I continued to collect fabric, usually from Connecting Threads as their prices were right up my alley as all my quilts are gits to folks. When I saw a sale on backings on other fabric sites I'd grab them if they had what I thought I might need in the future for the quilts on my list. Also my quilting thread came from Connecting Threads, their cotton which is very linty as well as their polyesters. I kept a log of which colors I used the most and stock up on them up to 10 spools at a time.

Since Nov 2018 I have bought fabric until just last week when I needed some for a backing for a doggie quilt. I've only ordered embroidery threads which I can also use on my quilt machine so a plus there. I have ordered a bolt of batting but only when it's on sale. Just recently though I did order 4 king size battings while on sale as I have most of my battings already cut for the quilts in line to be quilted plus some left on the bolt so figured 4 more battings should do the trick for what I have yet to start, finish or dream up.

Since my quilts are all gifts and I don't skimp on quality if I can help it as I feel making a quilt takes time, emotions, energy at times so I want the best of me in them. I don't like to waste fabric either so will use cutoffs where I can on the quilts whether on the borders or the backings if I'm having to piece them together. As for the doggie quilt, the fabrics were leftovers from a larger queen quilt I made for a gal who suddenly passed on before I could give it to her. Tried to make her a lap quilt while she was in the nursing home but she went within a week's time. Found someone that liked the quilt and he has a big shepherd dog so thought why not make the lap quilt for her.

Anyway, I'm not rich by any means but I do okay. Not spending on my hobby these past couple years has saved me a ton of money though as I remember my expenses were tight back then.

My suggestions is buy when on sale, have a list of projects you'd like to make and keep a list of what you need whether fabrics, battings, backings and/or threads so when the sale comes around you know what you should be looking for.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:30 AM

I watch for sales especially those that have the remainder of the bolt for at least 50% off, then I look for ones that could be used for a backing if there is enough yardage on the remaining bolt. Now, I don't always have a completed top for the backings, but I have chosen's one that are neutral or something in the texture and colors I usually work with and haven't bought a specific backing for a finished top for years; shopping instead from my backing stash. Right now, I have about 10 potential backings with at least 8 yards of fabric. I don't make show quilts but make ones that people will actually use, can be washed and dried in the machines. I do buy good quality fabric though, just on sale. I did years ago buy some on sale that had bold patterns and interesting, each of these found a quilt top that actually worked very well those backings! Batting I buy by the roll and that has gotten really expensive now especially as I have to have them shipped. I am also working on using up my batting stash although I only have 2 partial rolls and a few packaged.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:42 AM

I realize that not all areas are equal, but I've been buying most of my fabrics while thrift/estate shopping for years now. I'm paying typically $1-2 per yard or buying in large lots. No, you can't just go out and get the perfect fabric when you want it. You have to collect fabric and know how to use it. Fortunately for me, I work in a scrappy style and I don't try to copy other projects. Unfortunately, it means you have to store fabric for when you might use it and that builds up stash.

My biggest issue is backs, I'm pretty much out of anything in stash that is 6 yards or so. I've developed ideas for using coordinating/contrasting 3 yard pieces. I try to spend $20 or less on backs and that's pretty challenging. One thing is the extra wide fabrics are typically not on sale with the other quilting fabrics at Joann and are something that you can actually use the 50% off coupon.

Edit/Forgot -- one place I have gotten large amounts of fabric for cheap is on Craig's List or an Auction site I like. Nope, just like the thrift stores it isn't new stuff but it is unused. This auction went higher than I would pay (I'm cheap) but is an example of being able to get a lot for just a couple yards of new.
https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/...ters-b-3752983

Old 02-18-2022, 06:56 AM

By no means rich! I have been quilting for over 20 years so have a great stash that I have built up during that time. I rarely buy fabric if it’s not on sale. You can find beautiful quality fabric at Marshall’s Dry Goods for $7.99 a yard. I buy the 108” wide fabric for backings and have certainly used it in the top. I buy batting from Joann’s that’s 90” wide by the roll obviously using a coupon. Even the quilting doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg if you know where to have it done or right now straight line quilting seems to be the thing people are opting to do. Probably 90% of the quilts I make are bed size and it’s not that bad for me. I think it’s up to you what you choose to spend.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:05 AM

When I do buy new, I have a couple of places I typically order from. My first stop is general eQuilter, especially when I am looking for backs. Yes, I usually blow my $20 desired budget but at $14.50 and on sale I've come close! LOL, I've also spent a lot more... horrified myself last year spending something close to $100 on a single piece of fabric, but it was a beautiful digitized print and worth it for the Judy Niemeyer top.

When they have them and if you are collecting fabrics for a particular project, I've found their Scrap Packs to be a lot of fun. They are the ends of bolts sorted by theme or color and sold by weight:
https://www.equilter.com/category/38...se-scrap-packs

Old 02-18-2022, 07:15 AM

I can tell there are a lot of savvy shoppers out there like me. Everyone has to decide what works for them. I personally am a on sale/coupon/thrift store shopper and that is fun in itself. To each his own how and what they want to spend their money on. Just enjoy the process.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I agree it's an expensive hobby but so are many others, like painting, golf, etc. It's totally worth the cost to me given how much I love it and it makes me happy.
About backings- I'm not too fussy about them. I rarely use yardage for that purpose. I use muslin, piece the backs, or use something I got for a great price that coordinates. I've never used sheets but that's probably a good idea. I once used an ugly fabric for my backing and regretted it. I won't do that again.
I don't shop thrift stores but many people do. That's probably a place to save some money.

We're lucky to have this hobby. I see people who have nothing going on but hours of TV watching. Ugh!
Old 02-18-2022, 07:40 AM

Always been frugal and live just fine. DH is a very handy fella & saved us untold dollars through the years. we have a new truck & an old car & no mortgage. We’ve always been money managers.
Our church has a huge stash (donated & purchased). I make many juvenile quilts (from their fabric) because Children Protection needs them & they’re appreciated which is important to me. A local cancer center has a quilt room with sewing machines and I make a few every month for them with their stash. These projects cost me nothing except thread. Speaking of thread, I bought 200 spools at a garage sale for $12. I give them the “snap test” to see if they’re strong & most of them are. I kept track one year and emptied over 80 spools. Of course they weren’t all full. That’s about 6 cents a spool. Sewing for charity is great but I’m selective where finished quilts go.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

I have a generous disposable income so don't have to think about what I spend for quilting or spend on the grandkids. LOL I do shop fabric sales and bargain hunt. If I see a great buy on quilting tools or fabric I always buy enough to share my four quilting friends. We share all our quilting stash. I send some of my quilts to Missouri Star to be quilted. Some I do myself. The rest are donation quilts and the guild has LAs that do those.
My husband said he would never leave the US again after his service in the military during war. I have been all over the US and seen all the historic places, beautiful scenery, museums, landmarks, etc. We bought a beautiful forever home in a wonderful location so it's easy to stay home and be with my family and friends, my own tiny world. I am looking forward to going to some of the major quilt shows this year.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:02 AM

I'm far from filthy rich... I'm a stay at home mom of four kiddos, ages 5 and under, and we live on one income. Where do I draw the line with quilting costs? I never buy brand new or big name brands unless 50% off. The big name fabric is nice, but I still find beautiful fabric at garage sales and estate sales. I save an envelope (Dave Ramsey style) for my batting, thread and quilty notions expenses and I use that sparingly. Saving for something I want makes me be far more careful than just swiping debit cards. I make a lot of scrap quilts from estate/garage/thrift store finds. And, I maybe making a quilting sin, but I put pretty much anything large enough on the back of my quilts. I try to match, but don't stress about it. Sometimes Wal-Mart is having a huge fabric clearance where they are selling quilting fabric at $3-$4 a yard; I buy a couple of bolts for backings then.

Just remember, quilting used to be a make-do method of keeping family and friends warm. Our grandmas and great-grandma's weren't filthy rich but made gorgeous quilts. They made from scraps and very rarely bought fabric specifically for a quilt.