Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying something new >

Trying something new

Trying something new

Old 07-29-2019, 04:14 AM

The thought crossed my mind the other day that I should try paper piecing. At least give it a try. Haven't found a quilt shop in my area that teaches it and don't really want to go into the expense of buying everything until I'm sure it's what I like doing. You are braver than I am...LOL
Old 07-29-2019, 06:09 AM

It is certainly a challenge to stretch our skills. I have to be in the mood or interested in the color and design to step out of the box.

There are four projects in the bin right now that I'm working on at different times. Some are machine embroidery and others are quilt related.

We can feel intimidated by what we don't know. Sometimes that is even better that we don't know but learn.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:16 AM

There are many tutorials on the internet for paper piecing if you can learn that way. Hardly any expense at all if you learn the freezer paper method. Keep trying - it opens a whole new world for you!
Old 07-29-2019, 06:20 AM

BTW, I'm going to give paper piecing another go. I've done it before but it is not one of my strong skill sets, mostly so I got some odd angled star points right. I'll be making some small animals, just 6-8 blocks and I'll be ready to go on that project. Last time I thought I'd get the hardest out of the way first, two tiny hummingbirds. I am prepared to redo them which is a good thing! LOL. This time I'm going to start with the easy ones, horse and pig faces, then move on to the chicken and chicks, and then the hummingbirds last.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:18 AM

I'm hoping to make time each day (which isn't happening right now) to practice free motion quilting. It's the only way I'm gong to improve ... but I feel like I'm wasting materials, thread, etc. I've got to overcome that. I want to do more embroidery work and applique to incorporate into my quilts. I would like to try ruler work. I recently made some hot pads. Now that doesn't sound like learning much, but with 3 layers of batting (including the heat absorbing) + the top and back was a challenge to keep things from shifting when quilting. But I did it thanks to some help from those on on this Board.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:53 PM

I tend to want to try new things a lot. My problem lies with "new" colors..I seem to gravitate toward certain colors, so I am trying to branch out with my color choices..it has really opened up a new world for me!
Old 07-29-2019, 03:20 PM

Iceblossom: Go for it! Paper piecing is so much fun. There are different methods and it may take a bit to find what fits you. I am going to try som EPP here in the near future I am getting my supplies together and should be all set in the next couple weeks. This will be a traveling project that I will take with me to a variety of waiting rooms.

Sharonquilts: That is what I have been trying to do with this quilt. It doesn't look all that good to me but DH thinks it looks great (humm could I be to hard on myself??)! The only way to improve is to try. I found it difficult to manipulate the small quilt in the small space I had to work in. I was using my Juki. My everyday machine. I am pretty fair on the 1500se Brothers but could use more practice time there too now that I am not using the stitch regulator any more.

Donna13350: I too have colors that I prefer and almost all my quilts have at least some turquoise or teal in them. I can't seem to get away from those colors to save my life. I have an extensive stash and so color or fabric theme is never a problem. You are right to get away from the colors that bind us up is a big challenge.

I have put together and FMQ'ed the 20 block center of this quilt that I will keep for myself with all its imperfections so I can get a better grip on FMQ using my day to day machine. The next section of the quilt will be a 6" boarder that I will feather all the way around. I have done this many times on my grace frame but the is a much smaller machine and smaller space to work in. I will get it started tomorrow I hope. I have a very busy schedule this week and the time I usually save for sewing and quilting has been promised else where. So I must work later in the day and I don't have the time to get much done in the afternoons. I will keep you posted.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:05 PM

I am left-handed and dyslexic, so paper piecing seems beyond my ability (not for lack of trying). I can do fantastic applique which "floats" on the background, so I have decided at my age (in 80's) not to worry about new stuff--just enjoy what I can do.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:18 PM

Maybe you can find someone in your area who could help you with paper piecing.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:16 PM

Oh, Carolynjo, I have friends who paper piece like fiends and who have spent time with me. They've helped a lot but everyone agrees that I need more help! I've watched videos and read threads and make various attempts. I scoffed at first but I rather like the little ruler with no markings but the lip for the seam allowance, the spinning cutting board, I've gotten all sorts of help and gadgets but my mind just has not had the Aha! moment and I just don't get it.

I did a whole star quilt with paper pieced points and I can get that, it's just a couple of seams. But these intricate pictures and things, the precision required for some of it is just mind blowing to me.

I'm actually really excited about this project and want to work on it but have been dreading the paper piecing. But there's no way to get better without doing I guess.

Since my last go-round, I'm also going to use a smaller needle than I usually use. If that doesn't work, I'll try larger! Most of my blocks are relatively large -- I think the pig face as I've drawn it is about a 6" square, the horse face maybe closer to 8". The mama chicken also maybe around 8, but there will be 3 chicks who will be more like 3" each, they aren't too intricate. And then finally the hummingbirds. 4" finished I think but for me a relative lot of pieces and angles. I've already done a large barn I'm pretty happy with. I might do a sheep block, not sure. Again it would be about 6" and relatively easy. I have a rooster drawn out but don't think he's going to make it into the top.

The rest of the quilt will be various sized pieces of farm related fabrics. Crops grown in Washington, pigs and sheep and chickens, horses and a lake with fish and ducks leading on up to some deep woods, farms glimpsed in the distance and mountains and sky.

It will be quilted in an all over edge to edge chicken wire design using a slightly metallic thread and then (for me anyway) heavily embellished, I have things like bunny buttons to hide in the cabbage patch, an owl for the open upper window of the barn, a tractor applique for one of the roads. The fence for the horse corral will be pieced in white/grass strips and then a ribbon sewn on for the cross beams.

When I'm playing with my fabrics the quilt just builds itself, but I need to get those paper pieced blocks done!