Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • TSA regulations for travel >
  • TSA regulations for travel

• TSA regulations for travel

Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 PM

I've noticed several comments about what can and cannot be carried onto an aircraft. According to the TSA website today, 6/29, the following policies are in place regarding needlework tools:

"Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage. Items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside which cannot go through the checkpoint and must go in your checked baggage.

Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches are permitted in carryon baggage."
    Old 06-30-2010, 02:53 AM

That's really good to know! Thanks. I may not have had enough coffee yet, but what are circular thread cutters? Are they referring to rotary cutters?
    Old 06-30-2010, 03:36 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    That's really good to know! Thanks. I may not have had enough coffee yet, but what are circular thread cutters? Are they referring to rotary cutters?
    They are like a pendant necklace with a built in rotary blade (28mm). Clover make them, and there are silver ones about that make a nice piece of jewellery.
    Old 06-30-2010, 03:58 AM

That's good to know! I did know about knitting needles being ok, but last summer they were saying no scissors of any kind. Then I was thinking, well if needlepoint is ok....how the heck do you change the thread????
    Old 06-30-2010, 04:02 AM

In a pinch, I've used fingernail clippers. It's probably not good for the clippers, but they aren't expensive and when you need to cut thread you need to cut thread!
    Old 06-30-2010, 04:16 AM

i just think that it is funny that they allow knitting needles but not the circular cutters. i think that you would be more apt to jam one of those thing into a person than to use the really small cutter to cut someone. but that is just me. how a fingernail clipper could be a weapon is beyond me. unless they are going to give these people a really bad manicure.
    Old 06-30-2010, 06:31 AM

Circular thread cutters aren't allowed?! What a laugh. If they're the Clover ones, the only damage you could do would be to throw the thing at someone! Even if you were able to get the blade out of it (isn't it less than an inch?), you could do far more harm with 4" scissors. Wish they'd start making sense!
    Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 AM
    Power Poster

Just a hint :wink:
    Check out TSA's website the day before/day of each flight you go on... these regulations can change and do quite often :wink:

I was stopped at 2 check points when they seen my scissors in my carry on... I started taking them out and laying them beside my bag. They were the correct size... but it made going through the check point faster.
    Old 07-01-2010, 09:27 AM
    Power Poster

I can't imagine knitting needles being allowed. What are they thinking. I'll take an attack with a circular cutter and day over a knitting needle attack. :-D
    Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by renee765
    In a pinch, I've used fingernail clippers. It's probably not good for the clippers, but they aren't expensive and when you need to cut thread you need to cut thread!
    That's what I normally use, lol. In a pinch, I've even used the edge of a nail file.