Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tshirt quilt question >

tshirt quilt question

tshirt quilt question

Old 09-30-2015, 01:44 PM

Here's my t-shirt quilt.
To make the very narrow strips: cut 1 1/2" strip, fold in half, sew unfolded edge to one side of blocks, then go back and sew on folded side. This makes a narrow strip on the quilt!

One layout shows before I put on the sashing. So I had a variety of sizes to work with! The other is the completed quilt.
Attached Thumbnails img_1045.jpg   img_1004.jpg  
Old 09-30-2015, 03:09 PM

gingerd - your quilt is just gorgeous! great job on the smaller logos you did center them, but used the "background" fabric to center them instead of material from the same tshirt[ATTACH=CONFIG]532143[/ATTACH]

This isn't my niece's this is #5 and I did piecing to center the logos. the sashing is not sewn on in the picture - its just laying there. I am just on the fence about if thats the best way. This quilt is past the decision now, but I am thinking about the next one.
Attached Thumbnails 100_2911.jpg  

Last edited by meyert; 09-30-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:20 PM

I've made an awful lot of t-shirt quilts, and never worried about the logo being centered, or pieced it to center the logo. As long as the logo is in the square, that's all that matters. Nobody is going to care, trust me. I've never made one where the logo is centered in every square, and I've never had a recipient say they didn't like it.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:53 PM

Thanks much! I'm pretty proud of it as I felt totally out of my element after all of the shirts were cut and laying on the floor.

I used the sashing fabric to get the blocks the same size. I don't care for the ones where the t-shirt icon is small and a huge amount of t-shirt fabric is around the icon. That's just me.....
Old 09-30-2015, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
I've made an awful lot of t-shirt quilts, and never worried about the logo being centered, or pieced it to center the logo. As long as the logo is in the square, that's all that matters. Nobody is going to care, trust me. I've never made one where the logo is centered in every square, and I've never had a recipient say they didn't like it.
Just wondering what fabrics you all use for sashing. Since the T-shirts are a knit, does that not cause a lot of bumpy unflat looking top. Would a flannel work for the backing. What type of batting if any ? Sorry so many questions, am a pretty newbie to quilting.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by ukdame View Post
Just wondering what fabrics you all use for sashing. Since the T-shirts are a knit, does that not cause a lot of bumpy unflat looking top. Would a flannel work for the backing. What type of batting if any ? Sorry so many questions, am a pretty newbie to quilting.
I use regular cotton for the sashing. No, it doesn't make it look bumpy or un-flat. If I DO have to add any fabric to the block to make it bigger (or to "center" the logo, as you want to do), I use the back of the same shirt so it will match perfectly. You pretty much can't tell you've added fabric if you use the knit from the same shirt. I use any kind of batting - my go-to batting is either W&N or Quilter's Dream Cotton.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:42 AM

So if one of the logo's are big - 15" and one of the others that they want to use is smaller, let's say 10" you would just piece using the back of the same tshirt - correct?
Old 10-01-2015, 01:13 PM

meyert that's the way I take what she said about using the t-shirt fabric!!

Post when you're done. We'd love to see your work!!
Old 10-01-2015, 01:31 PM

I've made 1 tee shirt quilt. What I did was cut the front and the back apart removing the neck and sleeves, then took each large section and applied fusible interfacing. I cut out the design centering it leaving a inch or two all around. The rest of the tee shirt I cut into long 2 inch strips. I used these strips to trim around smaller squares or make quilt block designs. By doing this I spread the colors throughout the quilt top . When putting it together I used sashing if 2 inch black making the colors pop and a 4 inch border of the same. I had 10 large shirts and made a quilt top to cover a full size bed. The family was thrilled with the gift.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
So if one of the logo's are big - 15" and one of the others that they want to use is smaller, let's say 10" you would just piece using the back of the same tshirt - correct?
Yep, that's what I do. The colors are the same and the seam almost disappears.