Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tube quilting >

tube quilting

tube quilting

Old 08-16-2011, 06:32 AM

When holding the ruler, make sure your "pinky" finger is on the mat. This will hold the ruler more steady.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:54 AM

Pictures help alot. Thank you!

Originally Posted by dallen4350
Originally Posted by ssnare
This is a pretty quilt. Thank you all for your help. It is the Missouri sewing that I have watched on u tube. What do you mean when you say, "Aligned opposite points on the seam and cut."? I use a square ruler too. And the only angle that is marked on the ruler is a 45 degree angle.

Originally Posted by dallen4350
All these suggestions are good. I didn't use starch, but did use a square. Aligned opposite points on the seam and cut. I did put "The Steady Betty" (little adhesive anti-slip pieces) to the back of all my rulers. Also put a new blade in the rotary cutter. I didn't have any problems. I've attached a picture so you can see. I had a half of a Bali pop, so I added strips of white. This is just a large lap quilt. Still need to add boarders.
I used a square. The 45 degree line runs from one corner to the opposite corner. So I just aligned the points on the seam. The 45 degree line would run along the seam, but mostly I made sure the two points were on the line (until the strip was too short, then I used the 45 degree line).

Also, after the 1st cut, make sure that the cut edge of the quarter inch seam allowance runs along the edge of the square. That sounds confusing, but basically be sure that the point of the square or the edge of the ruler is aligned to the cut edge of the seam. If it is off even a little, then your pieces would come out different sizes. I have attached pictures.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 AM

whatever line you use must be on the seem line every time too.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

I have made a tube quilt and didn't have any of the problems you have had. Watch the tutorial on the Missouri Quilt site several times and watch the little details. I never starch any of my fabrics. If you follow most of the tips here you will make it right.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:47 PM

I tried this once after having a day-long class from the lady who wrote books on this method...never tried it again.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by RIDGEFIELD
I have the same problem and I have tried to watch the video and I get so frustrated because it keeps stopping. They always make it look so easy.
On the video, when it stops, it may be streaming to your computer slower than you are watching it. Try pausing for a bit (for me sometimes it takes only a minute or two) and then try watching.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 PM

Here is another video and a ruler you can buy to make the tube quilt.

http://www.cozyquilt.com/Features/StripTubing.aspx
Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 PM

I see a lot of gals talking about the ruler moving when they rotary cut. I learned a neat trick from a quilting class I once took. Take some med.grit sandpaper and cut small squares (I use 3 on my 24" ruler) and glue them on the back of the ruler. Grips like a Bulldog.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Banned

It appears, as others have said that your ruler is slipping. I watched the youtube video and realized that accuracy is the key. You might want to use any triangular ruler and mark your lines. Even a draftsman triangle without marks will work if 45 degrees. Can get this at the office supply store.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 AM

1. cut and sew the strips accurately
2. mark the line on the ruler that are to U to assure consistency
3. Always place the line on the STITCH line not the edge of the fabric
4. I found I didn't aways follow the #3 rule and sometimes used the fabric line and sometimes the stitch line 'cuz I was also visiting. Duh, go figure.
5. Put a piece of cling wrap or something to reduce ruler slipping on the back of your ruler
or
6. enjoy the 'art quilt' design that different cutting creates