Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tumbler Quilt Question

Banned

Tumbler Quilt Question

I just completed my first tumbler quilt. Question is, if I am not adding a border, do I quilt it edge to edge and then square up and rim off the jagged edge ( 1/2 tumbler) to get a straight edge, or should I cut off the 1/2 tumbler to make the straight edge prior to quilting. Or is it just personal preference. What am I not thinking about?

Ideas, opinions please.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Now, I'm not one to give answers, but I would quilt it first, then decide what I wanted to do.

Power Poster
    Quilt it first and then square it up. If you want to keep the edge, look up doing a quilt edge with facings.

I would be afraid of cutting the quilting stitches if I quilted it first then cut it, but I have never made one so it's just my opinion.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Blog Entries
    it is a personal choice- but quilting first then trimming is the simplest way to go...and you do not have to worry about cutting the quilting stitches- as long as you are machine quilting it- they will be enclosed with the binding- and secured again.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have made a tumbler quilt, and I trimmed the sides before putting it on the frame. It worked fine.

Banned
    Thanks y'all. Going to buy backing today then hopefully find time to quilt soon.