Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turn around time for longarm quilters >

Turn around time for longarm quilters

Turn around time for longarm quilters

Old 08-10-2011, 05:44 PM

Most professional LA quilters will give you an idea how many quilts are before yours. I'd call again, afterall you are the customer
Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 PM

When I am making a quilt for a certain time I always call my quilter and and make an apt for a certain time. When I deliver the quilt we decide when she can have it done and if that will give me enough time for the binding. She always has it done for me. If I don't have a time I need it by she never keeps my quilts over a month. She has a good business and does a lot of quilting. The quilter should always give you an estimated time they will have it done by.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by gramarraine
When I am making a quilt for a certain time I always call my quilter and and make an apt for a certain time. When I deliver the quilt we decide when she can have it done and if that will give me enough time for the binding. She always has it done for me. If I don't have a time I need it by she never keeps my quilts over a month. She has a good business and does a lot of quilting. The quilter should always give you an estimated time they will have it done by.
Many of my clients do this also. I put their quilts on my project plan in order of their calls and note ON HOLD rather than a take-in date. Then I call them to drop the quilt off 2 weeks before I have their quilt scheduled.

It works fine. They're on queue without being here. Many clients use that time with their quilt top to shop for and make their binding!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:31 AM

Guess the 2nd phone message I left did it as she called me last night to say my quilt is ready. I'll be picking it up this afternoon. Thanks for all your opinions. May
Old 08-11-2011, 05:03 AM

I always do them in the order I receive them. I measure right away and if there is a problem, such as the backing is to small I call the customer. When they correct the problem, they go back into the original order it came in at. If it isn't back by the time I do the next quilt, I just keep going until they return it. Most of the time I have the quilts done before the due date so if there is an emergency quilt, I can fit it in without delaying the other quilts.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:06 AM

One additional thought: Next quilt, ask her, "I know the past couple of quilts I've called and inquired about, so I was wondering if this is a problem? How do you manage to keep up with the due dates? Does it bother you/when would you like me to call you if it's late/almost due?"

Start this conversation. It's worth it if you're happy with the work and price, and only have concerns about the turnaround time. It's a normal business discussion, and no one minds having it. I feel certain, since this has happened twice now, that it's a conversation she's had more than once...and probably doesn't mind (else I'm assuming she'd schedule better, call customers if delayed, have a better system for managing time, etc.).

I wouldn't mind it at all. I don't quilt for others, just for charity and myself, but have many friends who quilt as a business. This conversation wouldn't upset them at all. They'd prefer it, certainly, to loosing a customer!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Guess the 2nd phone message I left did it as she called me last night to say my quilt is ready. I'll be picking it up this afternoon. Thanks for all your opinions. May
Yaaaaaaay, May! Now you will have time to get the binding and the label done and wrap it up all pretty!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:01 PM

I agree with a lot of folks on here that say things happen, but I feel like it is the LAers responsibility to let their customers know if something happened and give the customer the option of waiting longer or taking the quilt to someone else. I really think a month turn around is way too long, but that is just my opinion. I think if it is going to take that long maybe the quilter has taken on too much. But I would no hesitate to call about my quilt. You are paying her to work for you.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:17 PM

I'm glad you got it back in time!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:29 PM

I think the long armer should be communicating with you. You have given her plenty of time. My LA has the quilt back in two weeks unless I say she can take longer than that. If she is super busy, she lets me know and we agree on a return date. She stops up to the quilt shop every couple of days so I ask her how busy next week will be or when I want the quilt back....good luck --- give her a call.