Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turned vs Raw Edge Applique >

Turned vs Raw Edge Applique

Turned vs Raw Edge Applique

Old 10-13-2018, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I do a lot of appliqué. Fused, raw edge, machine appliqué. Generally my go-to fusible ( I purchase it by the bolt) is Heat n Bond Lite. I either use a small zigzag or blanket stitch around each piece. I’ve been doing this for years. I’ve never really had any problems with fraying edges.
If you choose to do needle turn hand appliqué remember to add a seam allowance to each piece.
Thank you for the reminder to add the extra!!! And for your information on the Heat n Bond Lite. There are so many products out there!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:25 AM

Here’s a link for the Starch appliqué method if anyone is following and interested. https://campbellsoupdiary.blogspot.c...video.html?m=1

I have enjoyed the little bit of appliqué I’ve done. I find it relaxing to play with the fabric pieces then put the puzzle together and stitch them around, by Machine... hand stitching is a bit tedious to me. Anyway, it’s a nice change of pace from rotary cutting and machine piecing.

Last edited by Kwiltr; 10-13-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:06 PM

I tend to like the looks and outcome of turned appliqué but I’ve only done a few baby quilts and since I know they are going to get a lot of washing I feel more comfortable with turned appliqué too.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:45 AM

I make plastic templates and iron the seam allowances down over them, usually using Best Press or sizing. When they cool, I stitch with a straight, zig zag, or blanket stitch. Make sure to get the template plastic that you can iron.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:26 AM

I'm like some others here who don't enjoy the tedious part of applique. If you want a crisp edge, probably the turn under method is recommended but, if you want quicker, I'd go for the fusible and a machine stitched edge. Like you, my experience is that the satin stitch is a bit stiff. My thought is that a table runner probably won't be washed as much as a baby quilt or even place mats so perhaps fraying may not be so much of a consideration. Could it be considered a future design feature?
Old 10-14-2018, 05:56 AM

I also have done applique the way Arla-Jo mentioned but stitch it down like I would do needle turn applique. The edges are already securely turned under so you don't need to worry about fraying. I have used muslin and even scrap fabric on the back but you can't fuse it down unless you add a little bit of washable school glue which I use in my projects quite often.. I put a little glue on the back and press it.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:24 AM

When I first started doing appliques, I had watched a series by Eleanor Burns on it and she used fusible interfacing and did it similar to ArlaJo's method, without the ironing of course, until she fused it on. I still like this method - I make sure to really push out the edges and fingerpress the piece before fusing it in place. Sometimes I use the blanket piece and other times I treat it as turned edge applique, depending on the what the project is.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:37 AM

No one has mentioned a product that was made to be permanent, so I will. I have used “Ok To Wash It” by Aleene’s. I discovered it years ago for putting appliqués on cut away sweatshirt cardigans we all made in the 80’s. I haven’t tried it on a quilt but I would assume it would work on a quilt. It did work on a pillow I did for a friend with her marriage announcement, but that was a transfer, and it lasted several years, right up until the divorce, when she put a new cover on it. Lol.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:51 AM

I have tried using the turned interfacing method, but found it didn’t work well when turning inside corners on a shape. It was a maple leaf. Perhaps I was doing it wrong? I think it would be great if there were only outside turns and corners. Even though it’s just a table runner, I still plan on embellishing with quilting so I need a needle to be able to go through whatever fusible I would use. I think I’ll just turn the edges because in the end I’ll be happier and less worried about it.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:10 AM

I was blessed to take an applique class from Pat Campbell many years ago. I learned to make tiny stitches so that my applique floats on the surface and no stitches show. I love looke at the pillows on my sofa using her method of applique.