Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire  for my sewing room .....???? >

A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire for my sewing room .....????

A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire for my sewing room .....????

Old 03-07-2013, 02:47 PM

I have a kindle fire hd. I love it. It will read to you while you sew. you can watch Netflix on it and it's brilliant color. I haven't even checked out all the stuff it can do.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:03 PM

I would go for the TV, I think. LED TVs are very nice, bright, and they have a good dynamic range (black is very black, white is nice and bright). They're also low-power and don't have to charge. I don't think I'd use the internet enough to warrant having a smaller device that has to charge. And, while they can play movies, you can't play a DVD on them. You'd have to get the movies on there electronically (newer DVDs usually come with an electronic copy or two) or pay for them again through amazon (I think you can access Netflix on them, but I'm not sure). At any rate, I vote TV

The nook might not have a browser to look things up on, it depends on the model I think. The Kindle Fire definitely has internet access, though you need to have wi-fi in your house to use it (unless you get a data plan for it, which might cost extra money depending on what you can get from the catalog). The Kindle will be best for browsing if you want to look up a tutorial.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 PM

I have a kindle fire and love it!! I use it for music or patterns when I am quilting. I also use it when I'm just relaxing.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by bunniequilter View Post
Hmmm....tough one. Personaly I would take the TV.Wht not draw from a hat and surprise yourself. Btw congrats on your award!
That's a good idea from Bunnie. After you draw, you'll know whether you really want that item or the other one. :-)
Old 03-07-2013, 04:20 PM

I love my Nook but never use it in my sewing room! I prefer a tv with DVD. Mine is hooked up to our satellite so I can watch tv or listen to music...whatever I am in the mood for at the time. Congrats on the award...pick something you would not ordinarily buy for yourself.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM

I like the kindle fire but not for the sewing room, for the sewing room i would go with the tv
Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 AM

I'd do as someone suggested and get the kindle fire (if it has lots of memory) and buy myself a cheap TV from Walmart. I have an iPad and its never far from me. I use it all the time: calendar, calculator, Internet access more apps than you can count.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 AM

Here is a totally different perspective. I use an IPOD and listen to podcasts. I cannot watch anything and pay attention to my quilting. You can listen to podcasts through Itunes on many different devices.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 AM

I have a nook and love it. They go on line and you could look things up. However I think the TV would be better for Sewing room especially if it play DVDs. The nooks is mainly for reading and playing games and it is very portable you could do email or whatever but you have to have WiFi for that. Just my opinion.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:43 AM

I would price the Kindle Fire and TV and see which would be the better deal. I do think that a TV would be better for the sewing room but I also have a Kindle Fire that I love but I do not watch movies on it. So I think that it comes down to what you would use the device for. I have my computer in the sewing room with a 17 inch monitor and I use it to stream shows via netflix. I also listen to books on tape via those little playalongs you can lend at a library.