Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Twins on the way! >

Twins on the way!

Twins on the way!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:13 AM

If you like applique http://www.ginghamgoosepatterns.com/...?dir_cat=11637 has lots of really cute baby quilt patterns. I have been making these for 25 years. Everyone loves them. I add extra batting under the individual applique pieces to make them 3D.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348412[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348414[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348416[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2997.jpg   img_2999.jpg   img_3001.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 AM

Those are so cute Gail!

I've made a couple "unisex" quilts for babies of unknown gender, and I just solve the color issue by using EVERY color, LOL! I've just begun making some small quilts for charity out of some precut strips and I'm doing the same; these ones are in pinks, blues, greens, yellows, reds... I figure babies would enjoy lots of different colors & patterns to look at.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
My niece is expecting TWINS in September. She doesn't want to know the sex before hand, so I'm at a loss for quilts that would work for "either / or".
I'd love to see any images you think would work, or maybe some of you have created! Thanks in advance, I know this is the best place to look for inspiration.
I've made pinwheel quilts a lot. Do one quilt with pinwheels in the center surrounded by 9 patch blocks and a couple of plain borders. Do the other quilt with 9 patches in the center surrounded by pinwheel blocks and a piano key border. The quilts would be very similar but totally individual.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 AM

I always thought this would be a cool pattern to use for twins, choosing two fabrics for the two smaller stars to represent the babies (and alternate them in each blanket, so each one is being held in his/her own blanket) and a coordinating print for the "mom."

Haven't had any twins to make blankets for, though, so it's still on my list of things to do...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-249975.gif  
Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I am all for an I Spy quilt. Make the top and then add borders and backing depending on the gender of the babies once that is known. One of my girls is purple and one is pink. I knew they were girls so I made one for each in their color Delectable Mountain quilts and a turning twenties quilt. For boys one could be green and the other blue. If you make the I spy quilts 50x50 or 45x60 they can use it for a long time after babyhood for lap quilts.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Gail those are stunning!

Originally Posted by Gail B View Post
If you like applique http://www.ginghamgoosepatterns.com/...?dir_cat=11637 has lots of really cute baby quilt patterns. I have been making these for 25 years. Everyone loves them. I add extra batting under the individual applique pieces to make them 3D.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348412[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348414[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348416[/ATTACH]
Old 07-12-2012, 03:26 PM

I tried to send this before, but my computer sputtered and it just went into cyberspace! I am making a baby quilt right now -- and I am a rank amateur. What I'm doing is a white on white, appliqueing bright-colored lettering for ABCD (in three sizes, two series of letters are just at random) Then, I added pink butterflies, blue butterflies, yellow butterflies, red butterflies, ladybugs (larger, medium and tiny) some puppies and kittens (all purchased appliques -- iron-on -- which I don't really like that well, but I don't have an embroidery machine nor the time to do it by hand), then I'm quilting (by hand) in the outline of Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Bill so it would work for either a boy or a girl. If I had more time, knew the sex of the infant, etc. and if the baby were a family member, I would probably go to more trouble, but that's not the case. I'm a little anxious, but I'm stitching (zig-zag stitch) the appliques down because one could come off and the baby might choke on it if it tried to swallow the appliques. And, of course, everything a baby gets its hands on goes to the mouth!

You have gotten a lot of suggestions, which are all better than my idea. But, I'm learning. I'm just still a rank amateur, but I love it!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 07-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Gail, those baby quilts are absolutely priceless!

Jeanette Frantz