Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Twisted Seam Allowances, Fix, or Leave? >

Twisted Seam Allowances, Fix, or Leave?

Twisted Seam Allowances, Fix, or Leave?

Old 09-06-2020, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

I clip the seam - but each seam allowance in a different place - I put Fray Check or Fray Block on the clipped areas.

See this post that illustrates that:

https://www.quiltingboard.com/attachments/tutorials-f10/577670d1501424430-clippin.jpg

I

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-06-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:48 AM

I clip, it's just easier to me and my fiance was blown away at just how flat my quilt top ended up being. He even had me dig it out and show a few friends (before I put backing and batting on it) and bragged on just how flat it was while they looked at it.

Twisted seams are a big OCD/pet peeve problem for me, they will literally dig a hole in my brain until I clip them and I am a major grump until I do.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:48 AM

I press open but sometimes things still get tangled, and I’m a bit OCD so I spend the time to get the seams going where they should. As such when the time comes to do the final press of a top, I pull up my chair to the ironing board, grab my seam ripper and start the process. For me this helps make sure that not only are my seams going where I want, but also helps me see if I missed anything, if anything is coming up short etc. , allowing me to correct any issues before it get on the longarm or into the hands of the recipient.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:33 AM

If I notice it immediately I will correct it but if I don't see it until I am ready to add backing, etc. I usually leave it unless it seems to be terribly bulky then I might correct it ( of course depending on how much work is involved to correct).
Old 09-06-2020, 10:42 AM

I will leave them as they are unless they are very noticeable, which most of the time they are not. If I have to take one out I go well beyond where the seam flipped so I have room to prefect the seam.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:10 PM

All my quilts have some twisted seams, even my show quilts. Unless the fabric is thin, or very a very light color next to a very dark color that will show, I leave them, but I press them down good and flat. I do my own quilting, and have never had an issue with twisted seams causing me problems during quilting or showing in the top after it is quilted.

Rob
Old 09-06-2020, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

I have tried very hard not to have flipped seams. Everyone of my quilts has at least a few flipped seam allowances.

Some I fix, most I don't. When it is finished no one can tell.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:36 AM

Don't tell anyone, but I press my seams open. That's how I was taught. Twisted is a given at any one time. Hot iron solves many problems.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:12 AM

I clip - but then I started out sewing garments, and there are many times you'll clip a seam to help ease a curve or things like that. I also normally sew with a narrower stitch length too.

I figure if a clipped seam on a garment holds up just fine, then it's not going to be a problem in a quilt. Now if you clip through the stitching, that needs to be fixed.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:41 AM

I am rather AR about this .. I will take out a few stitches and resew. It can really mess up stitch-in-the-ditch quilting to have inconsistent directions in the way the seams are pressed. If I know I'm just going to do an all-over quilting pattern, I might not be so particular, but I usually do custom quilting.