Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Twisted seam in Jenny's video >

Twisted seam in Jenny's video

Twisted seam in Jenny's video

Old 07-13-2014, 03:48 AM

I try to alwaya make opposing seams but like many others, get a twisted seam now and then. I have been quilting for over 60 years and have never noticed any seams coming out where I clipped them. Usually I just iron them flat and go on. Sometimes we can get too concerned with things that really don't matter much. Keep in mind that I quilt for my family and not for juried shows and every quilt keeps someone warm. It's also my hobby and relaxation and I don't want it to get to be a chore so I try to enjoy every part of the construction.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:52 AM

Interesting thread. I've twisted seams, clipped seams and ripped to correct...in the final finish I couldn't tell you where the seams aren't nested. I want the blocks to meet. I gave up perfectionism (my flaw) when I became a quilter. This is my hobby and I want to enjoy it. Love to read everyone's thoughts on quilting matters. You are all so experienced!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:54 AM

While I avoid twisted seams when I can, I have no qualms at all in doing so when needed, especially for nesting seams. A very nice LQS owner showed me years ago how to twist seams as needed. They are twisted not too far from the seam, and they don't show much at all.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
I agree. I may not purposely twist them but sometimes it happens. Doesn't seem to cause a problem.

I also "often" twist seams due to the fact that I can not always tell which way to press seam when putting many pieces or row together. I would rather have my seams match than worry if I twist a seam. As for cluipping- i do not. i would be afraid that rhe seam would fray. IMHO it is no big deal!!!!!
Old 07-13-2014, 04:42 AM

I always end up with twisted seams. What I do with them depends on when I see them. So sometimes they are re-ironed, sometimes ignored and mashed flat with the iron or ripped and resewn. My quilts are not show quilts and I quilt most of them on my DSM so not an issue with me. I'd like to be a perfectionist but I don't think that's going to happen!LOL
Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
There's just not enough time in life to worry about twisted seams. Let them twist! I've never had a problem longarming through them (in fact I don't even notice them once the quilt is on the frame) and I've never noticed them after the quilt is finished.
I agree with you - choose your battles. That got me through raising my kids and applies to quilting as well for me.
I also noticed that she is not a super careful presser in her videos either which makes me really like to watch her. I've seen other instructors who don't press from the back, only from the front and say to let the seams go the way they want, and it all looks great.
It seems that nearly everything I do has twisted seams and I have survived to quit another day!
Old 07-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I think it is most quilters choice to butt their seams but crap happens from time to time to all of us...No big deal....
Old 07-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I have had to twist seams to get them to nestle and I can't tell the difference when it is finished. I wouod like them all to be perfect but hasn't happened yet.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:50 PM

I do the twisted seam on any seam that needs to be done. I do not cut the seams, I pull the 2-3 threads loose. They almost always twist perfectly and press very nicely. I've used this for a long time, quilts have been quilted with no problems at all. It's an ingenious method of having no bulk in middle of a block or seam.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:34 AM

I have been very surprised by the number of quilters that allow twisted seams. As a garment sewer before I began to piece quilts, I still always try to avoid twisted seams. Takes more time to keep them all nestled (my hubby always says "you should have had that quilt done by now") but I am happier with the results. My LAQ made comment to me about my nestled seams and squared quilts make her life easier!!! Enjoyed the post and from now on not going to be so fussy and will live with a twisted seam.

Last edited by sharin'Sharon; 07-14-2014 at 08:39 AM.