Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Twisted seams. >

Twisted seams.

Twisted seams.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:20 AM

Default Twisted seams.

How do you prevent seams on the underside from going the wrong way when sewing pieces of blocks together?

I keep having to snip 3 stitches, correct direction of seam and resew that little bit again. THere must be a better way.

Thanks for all your wonderful efforts to help each other. Would not have pursued quilting without this board.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I use straight pins that are removed just before reaching the DSM needle. I have had to clip and resew more than a few times.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:31 AM

If you mean the seam goes off to the side as you approach the end of the seam, using a stiletto works wonders!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:57 AM

I had same problem & read somewhere to put a small piece of tape on your machine where the plate & machine meet. It worked wonderful for me!
Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Take a careful look at your machine bed. Does the plate stick up, even a tiny bit? Or do you use an extended sewing surface? how does that meet up with your machine? As mentioned, taping over these areas will help. I sew slowly, and as I come to an intersection, I sweep my stiletto under the seam in the appropriate direction.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

I have done as hairquilt says and put tape on the join between machine and insert where my machine is inset into the table. But they still go the wrong direction sometimes. Life is too short. Unless there is a real problem with a dark color showing through a light fabric I just accept that the seam wanted to go the other way and let it. When the quilt is finished no one knows the difference, even me.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

There was a recent thread here on twisted seams with a lot of good posts:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...o-t249986.html
Old 08-10-2014, 08:42 AM

Agree on the ridge between the machine bed and the plate. It can twist a seam.

Because I clean my machine a LOT I don't want to put tape over the seam. So what I do is this ....

I can feel a seam coming up (even if there is only a seam on the bottom) with my fingers as I feed the seam into the machine. When I feel one coming up, I slightly lift the piece I am feeding, and if necessary will reach under and flip the seam. I very rarely get a twisted seam.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Agree on the ridge between the machine bed and the plate. It can twist a seam.

Because I clean my machine a LOT I don't want to put tape over the seam. So what I do is this ....

I can feel a seam coming up (even if there is only a seam on the bottom) with my fingers as I feed the seam into the machine. When I feel one coming up, I slightly lift the piece I am feeding, and if necessary will reach under and flip the seam. I very rarely get a twisted seam.
This is what I do as well. I rarely have a twisted seam. I also use pins but down far enough I don't have to take them out as I stitch.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:24 AM

If the above ideas don't work, you can always machine-baste a few stitches over the spot before sewing the seam. It's faster than unsewing and saves on teeth grinding. I'm doing it now with 2 stretchy, annoying fabrics -seersucker and homespun. Removable tape is helpful, too. I keep some by the machine.

hugs,
Charlotte