Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Twister borders >

Twister borders

Twister borders

Old 09-01-2017, 08:50 AM

Default Twister borders

Hey there from recovering Houston Texas!!! While we were fortunate enough to avoid the flooding of the recent storm, we are still without electricity. Two of our neighbors have offered to share/loan us their generators, so we are glamping in fine fashion! So now I have to make two quilts, and creative genius that I am (LOL), I thought I would do a friendship braid with a twister border, kind of like having a friend in a storm. Has anyone ever made a twister border? Is it difficult?
Old 09-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations on missing the flooding and having good neighbors! If you mean the Twister that you cut squares and then use the Twister ruler, then the toughest part would be figuring out what size squares to cut and then the recut size to match the center. You might be better off to get the size border you want and do the friendship braid to fit inside it.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:19 AM

I'd suggest making the border and then making the braid to fit inside, since that is much easier to size.

I would think a row of solid, then a row of different colored blocks, and another row of solid will give you a line of twister down the the middle. You may have to unsew the pieces and resew them at the corners, and possibly cutting a few more sections seperatly to get that to work. Or you could do two rows of color to get a wider border. I have the mini twister and it gives a pretty small block after you cut and resew.

It really sounds like a neat way to make a border.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Glad to hear you were not flooded!
Tartan has the right idea. make the border first, then fit the center in. Here's one I did several years ago:
Recycled Shirts
I made the border first, then the center, then cut the white inner border to bridge the gap.
A couple of things. The twister block's edges may not be on straight of grain and will have a bunch of seams, so when you are done piecing the border, use a long stitch length and stay stitch both the inner & outer edges. You will be doing some manipulation so this will help you keep it from stretching. When you sew the inner border (or center of the quilt) to the twister border, you may find it easier to unstitch some of the twister border. carefully remove any stay stitching first.
A design wall is a must!
hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:05 AM

wow those quilts are busy! But great work!
Old 09-03-2017, 03:47 AM

This is the good news coming out of Texas--neighbors helping neighbors and working together for good.

Twister is a fun design but wastes a lot of fabric. How about pinwheels instead? They'd be a lot quicker for me anyhow and give that feeling of movement..
Old 09-03-2017, 06:59 AM

I am glad to hear you are OK after the awful storm made such a mess of the area. I don't like to do the math to figure things like the the exact size for a pieced border. I just make a guess at what I think is right and make my border. I then add a thin inner border to make it work. So much easier than doing all that math.