Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Twister Measurement Question

Blog Entries

Twister Measurement Question

Okay, my sister decided she likes the Twister design for a pair of quilts for her soon-to-be-grandson twins. We've also picked fabrics (blue, green, purple batiks with cream borders-- YUMMY). Now, for size, I want to make 45x60" quilts. I've purchased the 5" lil twister tool, so I will be cutting 5" squares (resulting in, I believe, 4.5" squares once all sewn together-- I"M NOT SURE ABOUT THAT). If I've calculated correctly, I need a 9x12 square design (there will be 2.5" border all the way around from an originating 3" strip). Here's how I got there:

45" wide. Subtract 5" for the 2.5" borders on each side. Balance: 40" divided by 4.5" finished squares = (rounded up) 9 squares across.

60" long. Subtract 5" for the 2.5" borders on each side. Balance: 55" divided by 4.5" finished squares = (rounded down) 12 squares down.

Is this accurate? I.e., can someone check my math or my assumptions?

Thanks!

-- Jillaine
    jillaine

Blog Entries
    One more question: I think I'm going to have a total of 12 different colors. Any suggestions for mixing these up over the 108 different squares (9x12)?
    jillaine

I followed your math and your end result will be 43x56 1/2. Not sure what pattern you are going to use but if you use 9 of each color it should give you an even number of each color.

Quote Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
    Okay, my sister decided she likes the Twister design for a pair of quilts for her soon-to-be-grandson twins. We've also picked fabrics (blue, green, purple batiks with cream borders-- YUMMY). Now, for size, I want to make 45x60" quilts. I've purchased the 5" lil twister tool, so I will be cutting 5" squares (resulting in, I believe, 4.5" squares once all sewn together-- I"M NOT SURE ABOUT THAT). If I've calculated correctly, I need a 9x12 square design (there will be 2.5" border all the way around from an originating 3" strip). Here's how I got there:

45" wide. Subtract 5" for the 2.5" borders on each side. Balance: 40" divided by 4.5" finished squares = (rounded up) 9 squares across.

60" long. Subtract 5" for the 2.5" borders on each side. Balance: 55" divided by 4.5" finished squares = (rounded down) 12 squares down.

Is this accurate? I.e., can someone check my math or my assumptions?

Thanks!

-- Jillaine
    I hope someone with more experience with this will check your measurements for you. I have only made table runners with this but you sew the squares together then cut bias squares from the whole piece and I think this will make your quilt smaller than you are planning. Can anyone else recheck this?

Blog Entries
    I just finisher a table runner with the twister and used charm packs of 5 inch squares. A finished square is 3 1/4 in. I did not have a pattern, just sewed my 5 inch squares together, added a 3 inch boarder all around, cut with the twister, resewed them together, added binding. The sqares finished at 3 1/4". 10 charms across finished at 35". I am going to try to post before and after pics for you.
    fatquarters

Blog Entries
    before-----5"charms and 3"boarder
    Attached Images Attached Images
    fatquarters

Blog Entries
    after- it is only 35" long Hope this answeres your question
    Attached Images Attached Images
    fatquarters

Blog Entries
    with your measurements, that's only 27x36' before boarders
    fatquarters

super cute and measurements throw me. I do have the mini and the 5' twisters, looking forward to using them soon!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Blog Entries
    When you are using charms, they are 5",then you sew them, then they are 4 1/2",then you cut them again with a twist, again making them smaller, then you reset, making them smaller again. That's why they are so much smaller, and of course there is some waste.
    fatquarters

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I think you're going to need 192 squares, set 12x16, plus the 3" border. With this tool, you will "shrink" the size of the squares twice--first when you sew them into the grid, then again when you cut with the tool. Also, there is some wastage in the cutting process. Canton Village Quilt Works has an online tutorial which recommends you cut the leftovers into 1.75" square and use them as another border.

Here is how I calculated.

For each 5" square you start with, you will get a 3.25 finished square in the lil twister pattern.

You want about a 45 x 60 finished size. Let's just assume that the border will be 3" unfinished, so subtract 5" from your desired finished size to estimate the size of your grid of squares. In the pattern shown on the web, the border is attached and cut along with the squares, then reassembled. If you want an uncut border all around the quilt, that won't really change the calculations, but it will slightly change the size of the quilt.

The closest to 40 of finished 3.25" blocks is 12, which would be 39". The closest to 55" of finished blocks is 17, which would be 55.25". 16 blocks would be 52" That means you use either 204 or 192 blocks in the grid originally. in addition, those borders, which started at 2.5 finished, are also going to shrink. I'd use the 16.
    Last edited by Krisb; 11-09-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Didn't think it through before.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Wow, are you thoroughly confused now? LOL. I am sure it is going to be pretty when it is completed.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

There is a no waste method for the twister pattern also. I saw it on this board and printed it out. Aha! Found it: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-112343-1.htm I haven't tried it yet but organization is definitely the key--even more sew than the sew/cut/re-sew method.
    Beverly

Blog Entries
    love this twister., using charm packs
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.