Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
twister quilt help need ASAP >

twister quilt help need ASAP

twister quilt help need ASAP

Old 09-14-2014, 04:17 PM

Default twister quilt help need ASAP

Morning everyone, I am hoping that someone has made the twister quilt as I need some advice. I have the june tailor cutting template and will be using the 3 1/2 inch size pin wheel, I have used 5 inch squares and sewn all of these together and the top and bottom borders are on, my problem is I have to join the 3 inch side borders as they are too short ... Hope this is making sense, I am wondering do I make the join of the borders match up to the joins of the 5 inch blocks then proceed to cut out the templates or should I stagger the join along the 5 inch squares ???? and which ever option should I put the join in the same position on both sides of the quilt. I do hope this makes a bit of sense I live rurally and am not able to take to anywhere to get someone to help me, I have rang all my local quilting shops and no-one has done a twister quilt. Please I would love to get this started today .. thanks so much

Abbie.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:33 PM

Can you post a pic? Not sure what you are asking.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:00 PM

I agree need photos. I have made 3 of them in 3 different sizes from the June Tailor twist and stitch as well but had enough fabric for the border squares so would really like to see it.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:53 PM

Default help with twister quilt

Originally Posted by evelyn5269 View Post
I agree need photos. I have made 3 of them in 3 different sizes from the June Tailor twist and stitch as well but had enough fabric for the border squares so would really like to see it.
ok now this the type of pattern that I am doing. I need to join the border pieces down the sides (black sections in this picture )
Attached Thumbnails pin-wheel-full.jpg  
Old 09-15-2014, 04:06 AM

In the search box.........type in "How to make a twister Christmas tree". The diagram shows the placement of the twister tool on the border strip. I would line the seam in the strip with the row seam. Hope this helps you get started with your project.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:13 AM

Once you have all the blocks sewn together sew your border pieces on. If you are short then piece them together before sewing the border on and then the tool instructions show how to start in the corner and it just falls into place.
http://www.junetailor.com/twistnstitchvideo.htm Here is a quick video that shows doing the border in a smaller version. Private message me if you still have questions. If I read it right, you were short on fabric for the border and that border has to go on before any cutting is done.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:03 AM

If I understand your question, you are asking where to place the seam in your long border strips, correct? First, I would piece the border straight across, not on an angle (normally I piece my borders on an angle, but not in this case. Then I would try to place the seams to line up with one of your block seams. Then when you cut the twister pieces, it will simply look (if you can see the seam at all) like you had 2 black squares side by side. I don't think it matters if both seams align on the two sides of the quilt. I would probably stagger them, myself.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:12 AM

I have not used the June Taylor template, but have made several Twister quilts. Your "borders" turn out to be background, so I don't think it matters whether your seams are lines up or not. You lose a lot of it when cutting your angled squares. Good luck, and please post a picture when it is finished.

Linda in Missouri
Old 09-15-2014, 02:48 PM

With the June Taylor the pattern calls for a 5 inch border at least for size block I used. no piecing per the video link I put above just width and length then sew them on and then start cutting. I have used the twister twice and never again after the twist and stitch template.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
If I understand your question, you are asking where to place the seam in your long border strips, correct? First, I would piece the border straight across, not on an angle (normally I piece my borders on an angle, but not in this case. Then I would try to place the seams to line up with one of your block seams. Then when you cut the twister pieces, it will simply look (if you can see the seam at all) like you had 2 black squares side by side. I don't think it matters if both seams align on the two sides of the quilt. I would probably stagger them, myself.
This is exactly what I've done. No one wlll ever know.