Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which Twister ruler?

I have both sizes. Love the twister, so much fun to do. The 10" makes a big block.

I have all 4 sizes. For those of you that like making Twister wreaths, if you make the wreatn using the Prinitive Pinwheel ruler (that's the Twister that uses 3 1/2" squares) you can make a wreath for you 12" display stands by Ackfeld Manufacturing that so many of us use to hang season designs on....it is the perfect size and looks great. The Primitive Pinwheel ruler is the ruler I use when designing my Twister patterns. For those of you that want more Twister patterns, keep your eyes out, because I will be posting a notice when mine are out....which will probably be Feb.8.
    Last edited by Handcraftsbyjen; 01-30-2012 at 06:34 PM.

I just made a twister quilt using both. There is a lot of wasted fabric, but the quilts are really pretty. Everything is on bias after it is finished. You have to baste around the edges to keep it from stretching. I will use the small ruler more because I think it will work for borders on many designs of quilts

I like the 10" for bigger pattern fabric. Also makes a larger quilt with fewer squares (shocking, I know). 5" is nice and quick. I also like the 2.5". What's cool about those 3 is that the square leftover from cutting with the 10" template leaves squares that are 5" and work with that ruler. The leftover from the 5" gives you 2.5" squares which works with the tiny one. Which really makes it into a no-waste ruler. I haven't used the 4th size (3.5" maybe? ).
    Nothing's a mistake. It's a learning experience. Some experiences, you learn more than others.

I have the 5" and the 10". I've used the 10" once, and I will say that I found it challenging to cut the blocks after the squares were sewn together. The quilt was 12 squares by 13 squares before using the Twister ruler; the finished quilt after cutting and reassembly was approximately 80" X 90". I had to go to church and use two large banquet tables put together in order to cut the twisters.

Hi there everyone!!

Could any of y'all tell what brands there are of different types of twister rulers available on the market? I have seen everything from country-schoolhouse designs (has 3 tools), primitive gatherings (i think has 2), and June Taylor twist and stitch (which is a bunch of sizes rolled into one ruler). Is there any 2 brands that have the same size rulers? HELP PLEASE?!?!?!?!

I love the twister look as well, but NOT THE WASTE with using the actual twister tool. I purchased the tesselating windmill tool from Marti Michell. She has a tutorial on this, and it produces the same results, but WITHOUT the excessive waste.......check out Marti Michell.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Mine is about 2 or maybe 2 1/2 inches. I don't like all the 'wasted' fabric using the larger ones. This is a puppy baby quilt I am working on. Still needs eyes, and mouth embroidered. The picture was about 20x20 squares and it ended up being significantly larger than I expected.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

The twist n stitch ruler is my favorite.....you can do multiple sizes with one ruler. I used the 5" twister ruler starting out and then switched over to the twist n stitch and it was much faster. The waste is the down side of any twister pattern.

I have a bunch of sizes, but I use the 10 in one allot. I make mostly bed size quilts. Twisters are addictive to make LOL

There is a multi size Twister also, but at the moment I can't remember the name of it or who make I will figure it out soon I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
    I'd make my own too - - and use the money saved on something else
    Had my "local glass cutter" cut me a template ONCE......cost more than if I had ordered one from originator and not as professional...so make sure quality and price are discussed prior........

Doesn't June tailor make a twister type template that offers many sizes in itself

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2