Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Twister scraps

Twister scraps

I'm looking a twister scraps that people have posted. I made one and enjoyed the process and the outcome. But I'm wondering what to do with all those scraps. Any suggestions?
    Ruth

Blog Entries
    You can buy the smaller twister tools (there are 4 sizes) and make a smaller quilt! I've seen people use them for a border (but of course I can't find a pic right now).
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I remember seeing it in a video, probably utube twister tool.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    You can buy the smaller twister tools (there are 4 sizes) and make a smaller quilt! I've seen people use them for a border (but of course I can't find a pic right now).
    Where did you find other sizes? I can only find two. I even went to their website and they just had the two sizes. Would love to find other sizes!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
    Where did you find other sizes? I can only find two. I even went to their website and they just had the two sizes. Would love to find other sizes!
    Yes, they do not make them easy to find. I think I looked at their site for half an hour before I could find them when I purchased mine. For some reason they call the 2 big ones twister tools and the smaller ones pinwheels. Don't know why (maybe ran into a copyright issue?), very confusing!

This one uses 2.5" squares:
    http://www.primitivegatherings.us/sh...roductId=12670

this one uses 3.5" squares:
    http://www.primitivegatherings.us/sh...roductId=12667
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 02-22-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Just remember that your twister scraps will be on the bias. I would starch them really well before using them again.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Yes, they do not make them easy to find. I think I looked at their site for half an hour before I could find them when I purchased mine. For some reason they call the 2 big ones twister tools and the smaller ones pinwheels. Don't know why (maybe ran into a copyright issue?), very confusing!

This one uses 2.5" squares:
    http://www.primitivegatherings.us/sh...roductId=12670

this one uses 3.5" squares:
    http://www.primitivegatherings.us/sh...roductId=12667
    Thank you so much for that info. I'm going to go hunt for them on the website right now!!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

The original Twister Rulers (Twister and Lil' Twister) were designed by Marsha Bergen of Country Schoolhouse. The 2 smaller sizes, Primitive Pinwheel Tool and Itty Bitty Primitive Pinwheel Tool, were designed by Lisa of Primitive Gatherings.

If you barely overcut your ruler when making your pinwheels, you can take a pile of your waste pieces (as many as you feel comfortable cutting through) then place the next size down Twister ruler on the stack and cut around it. You will now have all of your scraps cut into squares to use in another Twister or any other project.

I made a queen size quilt with the largest twister tool and used the left over blocks to make a smaller lquilt to match. when I used the 3 1/2 in tool I used the small squares left over to make placemats. No waste

I put those pieces into a border for the same quilt.

I used the pieces for prairie points for the same quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
    The original Twister Rulers (Twister and Lil' Twister) were designed by Marsha Bergen of Country Schoolhouse. The 2 smaller sizes, Primitive Pinwheel Tool and Itty Bitty Primitive Pinwheel Tool, were designed by Lisa of Primitive Gatherings....
    Jen, thanks for clarification on the names. I had wondered about that.
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I just bought a "Twist 'n Stitch" from June Tailor at JoAnn's. The sizes go from 3 1/2" to 10 1/2". I was able to use a 50% discount.

Thank you so much for that info. I'm going to go hunt for them on the website right now!!
    You gals are just wonderful!!!! Thank you so much I've been looking for that little rascal for days and days. Leave it to Quilting Board and the very helpful members. I'm off, you just don't know how much, to get the other 2!
    I thank you and my scraps that you, they so wanted a home.

If you can't find the smaller twister rulers just take any smaller square ruler and use 1/4" quilters tape and make your own. Just lay your smaller ruler on top of the larger twister ruler in the center to get the angles that your lines need to be and put on the tape to make your lines. You can either remove the tape when done or leave it on. You can even use a black fine tip sharpie to mark the line permanently. You can either use store bought square rulers or for the odd sizes use plexi and cut the size you want. Be sure to mark the size and other info with sharpie for future reference.

Twister Scraps Heart

I made a Twister Heart quilt top from a kit and had enough left over to make this Heart wall hanging. No pattern, just designed based on the amount of fabric I had to use. The waste squares were approximately 2 3/8" x 2 3/8" so they finished as 1 7/8" x 1 7/8". The finished quilt is 22" x 23". I FMQ quilted it on my domestic machine. The Twister Heart quilt is still a work in progess as I can't decide how to quilt it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by goodwitch; 02-24-2013 at 06:05 AM.
    When I give to you what I make with my hands, I share my Heart.

Friends are the most important ingredient in the recipe of life.

Only bad witches are ugly.

I believe right now www.sewthankful.com has the twister tool on sale.

I sewed all the little squares together, usually light to dark, and made a checkerboard three squares deep as the border around the quilt. It looks just stunning. I love it. I had to cut just a few more squares to finish the border.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Nice applique or paper piecing scraps. See what you can do

Blog Entries
    How do you make twister scraps?

I made a double bed sized Twister and used the scraps with the smaller tool to but the borders on matching pillow slips.

I cut one set into tiny squares for nine patch coasters...would also make miniature quilt or Christmas ornament blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by BillieJean View Post
    How do you make twister scraps?
    Hi Billie Jean, I looked at this again this morning, and hope you will, too.
    A twister quilt is made by sewing squares together to equal much larger than what you end up with. Then you put this tool or some homemade template (mine was homemade) over the cross seams at an angle and cut out a new square. After all the squares have been cut the new way, you are left with a small square from each block on the bias that is supposedly scrap. My squares started out at 6 inches, and I ended up with 3 inch scrap squares. Made a beautiful checkerboard. If you google Twister Quilt, you may come up with a picture. I haven't tried it.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Oh this is good to know, as I just got a kit and after reading the instructions that was my first thought, there are going to be alot of leftover scraps-thank-you so much for posting this information.
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your help...I will check it out.
    Billie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast