Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
two identical twin quilts >

two identical twin quilts

two identical twin quilts

Old 06-05-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
I recently made twin quilts for my 2 great nieces born May 2. I was really excited to do both of them.
Well, you're a better lady than I am!! I hate making the second sleeve on a knitted sweater, setting in the second sleeve of a blouse, making the second sock...well, I guess you get my gist!! Like the others, there's so many designs, I rarely would consider making a duplicate...unless fabrics were very different. I have no trouble visualizing the final outcome...and even more so since most of my quilts are laid out in EQ5 first!! I have done as many as 40 different layouts for just one quilt that pleases me!! ok, so I did do two Trip Around the World...and both hand quilted
Attached Thumbnails attachment-80021.jpe   attachment-80022.jpe  
Old 06-05-2010, 07:18 PM

I love to make machine appliqued kids quilts. I am on my fourth one now since September and I should have finished it months ago. I am burned out on it and hate the sight of it now. It really is cute, no pattern just random animals on a blue background and the backing will be blue flannelette. I have 4 or 5 full size quilts ( UFO's ) that I am dying to get working on and this is probably what has me distracted. Of course if I spent less time on the Board I might get more done. Yeah right. LOL
Old 06-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by watson's mom
Of course if I spent less time on the Board I might get more done. Yeah right. LOL
Blasphemy!!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:08 PM

I made matching friendship stars for our 11-year-old nieces. I guess it helped that I made all 24 blocks at once, so it was really like making one big quilt.

Darren
Old 06-05-2010, 08:09 PM

I have made two of the same quilt several times. I find that if I do a different project in between then it isn't as bad as making them back-to-back. Sometimes it takes two or three projects in between. The longer I wait, the more the second quilt feels "new" again.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:49 PM

Back in the days when I made dolls (& occasionally still do, depending on mood and special request), I always made however many dolls or pairs of dolls at the same time. For example, the Raggedies pair in my avatar + two more pair, one for each of my daughters were made simultaneously, but each with different clothing fabrics ... first bodies, then hair, then clothes. Ditto the Humpty Dumpty dolls. I used to make dolls for co-workers occasionally, but always "needed" a matching one for myself. I would complete step 1 for all the dolls before moving on to step 2. It's less boring that way for me. I think I would do the same if I were making more than 1 identical quilt.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:13 AM

If I know ahead of time that I am making two of the same, I make all the blocks at the same time, then assemble the quilts. If I didn't know at the beginning, then I put some different projects between making the first and second one.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
When I do two alike I cut and sew at the same time.
That way they get done at the same time. Others it definitely would end up as a UFO.
Kathy, what a great idea! I will have to do this next time, if there is a next time. Thank you for sharing this tip! And I see several others are already keen to doing it this way.

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
I've only repeated the same pattern on a quilt twice & swore I'd never make another one with that pattern again. Well guess what? My best friend wanted me to make a quilt for her & guess which pattern she picked? I've got it pieced, sandwiched & have started the hand quilting, but just can't seem to finish it!!! It didn't take me very long to put it together, but it may end up being a seven year project before I get the quilting done.
Okay, I just have to know, what pattern is it?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

I have not made two of any quilt. I'm sure they will be beautiful.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
I rarely ever make the same pattern twice, and likely just for that reason. I just did a couple of baby quilts for my cousin who had twins and the second one took me forever! Once I've done a pattern, I'm ready to move on to another one. There are simply too many amazing patterns out there for me to want to concentrate on just a handful. That said, I have done the log cabin and bargello quilts more than once.
I would guess that your log cabin and bargello quilts are all different. Using the same technique is not the same as making the same quilt again.I don't make the same quilt more than once and I don't use patterns. However I work in a series using the same technique or variation of a block serveral times until I have explored all of the "what if"s that I want to. I can do that to a point in EQ but it only takes me so far and then I want to make it in real fabric.