Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two layers of Request? >

Two layers of Request?

Two layers of Request?

Old 05-30-2020, 08:50 AM

Default Two layers of Request?

I just bought a 30 yard long queen size roll of Quilters Dream Request batting, because I was tired of buying it in packages. I've used the request before and was happy with the thickness, especially because sometimes I big stitch hand quilt.

Well, the batting came yesterday, and it seems even thinner than the request that I bought prepackaged. That will be fine for some quilts, but for others I'll want it a bit thicker. Has anyone used two layers of this in a quilt? If so, did you have any problems with it?

I'm guessing two layers of request would be roughly the same as a single layer of QD select, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by SherylM; 05-30-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:06 AM

Is it because it got compressed when they rolled it? I would cut it and then let it breathe for a day or so to see if it would expand.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:59 AM

It's possible, and that did cross my mind. I cut off about a foot, so I'll see what happens with that. I might even toss it in a warm dryer for a few minutes.

Last edited by SherylM; 05-30-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:52 AM

I haven't gotten Quilter's Dream poly batting but I did get a roll of Hobb's polydown….oh my, once released from the plastic it came in....it expanded....and then expanded some more...and then some more.....yep...it was compressed on the roll....right now, although I probably have used half of the roll, the roll is still about two times the size it was when I first got it....so in my experience, expect a good amount of expansion with a roll of poly batting.....It now has quite a bit of "puff" when I put it on the longarm to quilt...but I really do like it....the closer you quilt it, of course,,,,the more it will compress again....I tend to quilt a little less dense because I really like the puff....
Old 05-30-2020, 11:10 AM

I should have been more specific - this is cotton batting. I've used Quilter's Dream cotton, wool, and poly battings, and I've been happy with all of them. I decided to buy the Request cotton, because I figured it would be the most versatile. I like to glue baste my quilts and iron the glue dry, and I can't do that with poly or wool.

I'm also hoping that doubling it up when I want a heavier batting will work. I just tumbled a piece in the dryer with some wool dryer balls, and it's not tissue thin anymore.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:15 AM

You may want to call QD Corp office. They have been so helpful to me when I had questions.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
I should have been more specific - this is cotton batting. I've used Quilter's Dream cotton, wool, and poly battings, and I've been happy with all of them. I decided to buy the Request cotton, because I figured it would be the most versatile. I like to glue baste my quilts and iron the glue dry, and I can't do that with poly or wool.

I'm also hoping that doubling it up when I want a heavier batting will work. I just tumbled a piece in the dryer with some wool dryer balls, and it's not tissue thin anymore.
Wanted to say I Just finished a quilt with dream wool batting and successfully glue basted. I did like the wool.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Wanted to say I Just finished a quilt with dream wool batting and successfully glue basted. I did like the wool.
Yeah, I ..the wool, especially for hand quilting. Wish I could use it in most of my quilts, but $$$. I've glue basted it before and it does work well, but I have to let it air dry; what doesn't work well is using the iron to dry it fast. I tried it once...it wasn't pretty! Thank goodness it was just a small sample piece...

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-30-2020 at 05:53 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-30-2020, 02:02 PM

I am currently quilting a quilt that I have used two layers of QD, I think it is the Select. It is the 80/20 cotton, poly. First time that I've tried doubling the batting and so far haven't had any problems with it. I do pin basting on mine and FMQ on my DM. This quilt will be a more decorative quilt rather than a bed quilt and I just wanted to try double batting since I have read people are using that. Actually, taking a break from doing the quilting right now. I decided to do all over pebbles and it got kind of tedious, although I like the look.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:05 PM

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know!