Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Two in one day (sigh) - price increases that is.

Luckily, MOST of us have more stash than brains, so we should be ok (running off to connecting threads to make an order) LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose L
    Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett
    As long as fuel continues to increase in price we will continue to see an increase in everything we purchase.
    The worst thing about this is that when the price of fuel levels off and goes back down everything else will stay high priced. I'm tired to death of this game. They are slowly eroding the middle class and the poor don't stand a chance! They should all be ashamed.
    We are headed towards a 2 income nation--very rich and very poor!

Everything is going up due to the gas prices. We thought our country was in trouble before, wait until the next few mths.

Every single thing we are going to purchase now and in the future is going to go up...there is nothing we can do about it and although it may help some to vent, it will change absolutely nothing. We just have to make our priorities, economize and learn to deal with a very frustrating situation. Don't let it ruin your life, make the best of what you have and love/enjoy your friends and loved ones. Life will go on as it always has and it is within our power to be happy or miserable. There are people that are a lot worse off than than most of us and don't forget the depression years of sacrifice.

and I won't even get started on what i think of our government and what it is doing to us!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kathyquilter34
    Being from a self owned filling station family..you realize that maybe the gas in the tank was already there..but also when gas comes down so is the gas that the owner had to pay premium for..and has to take a loss..it is not the gas stations fault..they are not the ones making more money..it is the government..if the government would let them drill her in the states the gas would not cost so much..unless the government put a high tax on it also..
    I'm not angry at the family owned gas stations because I do understand that part. Its the big corps that do it, and they (same compaies) from one end of town to the other with the different prices. Same Co. $3.60 a gal, in 5 blocks is $3.51. This doesn't make sense. The states' taxes are horrible.

Amen to that grannie cheechee..and yes it is the big oil company`s and the government that spoils it for the little guy..it upsets me to buy gas and then like you say a few blocks down the way it is cheaper..

Blog Entries
    We got a tank of oil yesterday ***$648.00*** 18 years ago when we moved in a tank of oil was around $200.00. We won't have to worry about the cost of gas or food if we want to stay warm. We will eat and go for a short ride in the summer months!

Quilter711

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter711
    We got a tank of oil yesterday ***$648.00*** 18 years ago when we moved in a tank of oil was around $200.00. We won't have to worry about the cost of gas or food if we want to stay warm. We will eat and go for a short ride in the summer months!

Quilter711
    Having never heated with oil, I have to wonder... how long will that tank of oil last?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter711

Quilter711
    Having never heated with oil, I have to wonder... how long will that tank of oil last?
    We are hoping that warm weather comes real soon :!: With a little luck, we are hoping that it will last until Nov or Dec :?: The house is a small ranch. I can't imagine what a big house costs to heat today.

Quilter711

I was just talking about this with my Dad...I am on propane, and its going to go through the roof we are afraid. I wish I could afford a wood stove right now!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    I was just talking about this with my Dad...I am on propane, and its going to go through the roof we are afraid. I wish I could afford a wood stove right now!
    We have a pellet stove. It worked great but we can't lift 3 tons of 40lb bags any longer. We have it for sale. Oil will be all that we will use to heat. Good luck! The wood stove should give you some heat even if it is in one room and bundle up. Keep your eye out for a used one.

Quilter 711

Blog Entries
    We have an outdoor woodburner. It burns only wood (which, at the moment, we get for free from FIL's woods) and the burning wood heats a bladder filled with water. The water runs underground and into our basement where it goes into a radiator looking thing. The fans (from the original furnace) blow over this radiator thing and heat the house. Our only gas expense is for our water heater.

Electric is another matter and it's going up too. :(

I'm afraid it's only going to get worse.

Blog Entries
    [quote=gale]We have an outdoor woodburner. It burns only wood (which, at the moment, we get for free from FIL's woods) and the burning wood heats a bladder filled with water. The water runs underground and into our basement where it goes into a radiator looking thing. The fans (from the original furnace) blow over this radiator thing and heat the house. Our only gas expense is for our water heater.

Gale, Good for you! Did you do this system yourself? Sounds like a great way to beat the high fuel cost. It would be great to see a pic of the system :thumbup:

Gale, I would need the outdoor one too, because I dont have a chiminy. My brother is building one right now! I love them smell of wood burning!

the price of cotton has gone up 123% if not more.

Power Poster
    We all knew this was coming. :thumbdown:

Blog Entries
    We bought it and it was pretty expensive. It takes a few years to pay for itself (I think it was 7.5K? including installation-dh and his dad did some of the installation work). You can see more about ours here:
    http://www.heatmor.com

there are other brands too.

Blog Entries
    If this keeps up I may have to rent out a couple of our extra rooms. "rooms to let, quilters only need apply" LOL

That is something hat has really irritated me Price hikes are bad enough but for them to add insult to injury they are giving us less! And we just sit here and gripe.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Renee110
    Our Kroger grocery stores increased zillions of prices almost 2 dollars! What got me the most mad (I know that's not proper english but that is how much this flew all over me) is I went in to get a case of diet coke. I love diet coke. How many cans are in a case? Anyone? 24. 24. 24. Wrong. The cases of diet coke went up a dollar and now a case appears to be 20. That flew all over me!

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Ah yes... the case of the incredible shrinking product.

Gee. I remember when Lay's potato chips came in 1-pound bags. Now I think they are 11 or 12 ounces.

But wait. Maybe it's a good thing that the potato chip bags are smaller. Makes for a smaller binge. :oops:

All the new fabrics in my area are going for $11.39 a yard or more. I heard they might be going up to $14.00 because the Chinese are hoarding the cotton. Time to start boycotting any piece of crap from China I think.

However it didn't stop me from purchasing the most beautiful collection of Batiks yesterday. All grays with a smattering of peach in each one ending with a beautiful peachy batik to round it all out. I'll try and get a picture to upload later, spent 130 bucks on sale for $2.50 per yard. I have absolutely no idea what to do with them. I guess I need to start looking for a contemporary quilt pattern because that's what would be called for with these fabrics.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3