Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Two in one day (sigh) - price increases that is.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Just got the news this morning that Timeless Treasures is increasing their prices 35 cents / yard effective April 1.

And then later today I got the news that Maywood is raising theirs 25 cents / yard effective next week.

Just another FYI...

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    It could be worse!

Oh, not to worry, it will be (worse). From everthing I have heard on the subject its all a matter of time before we yell OUCH!

I am sick and tired of hearing about price increases. Can we talk about something less depressing? Please and thank you.

Thankful to have a stash!

Can't be any worse than the gas price increase.

Blog Entries
    Our Kroger grocery stores increased zillions of prices almost 2 dollars! What got me the most mad (I know that's not proper english but that is how much this flew all over me) is I went in to get a case of diet coke. I love diet coke. How many cans are in a case? Anyone? 24. 24. 24. Wrong. The cases of diet coke went up a dollar and now a case appears to be 20. That flew all over me!

Went to Target last night, and the 44 lb bag of dog food went up 6.00!!!!!!!!!! Thats just nuts....food has more even more worried than fabric!

Blog Entries
    I the cotton crop was as bad as reported, then those two companies have a done a good job of keeping the raises mimimal. The biggest concern is where will it stop?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    I am sick and tired of hearing about price increases. Can we talk about something less depressing? Please and thank you.
    Really? Why not just skip this thread? Seriously, I'm confused.

Thanks for keeping us infomed, from the inside. It really is appreciated, even though the news is not good.

Blog Entries
    Timeless had held their prices for at least the last half-year... which I thought was pretty good. But the increases are inevitable these days. It's just a matter of who goes first... and last.

The higher prices are all connected to the cost of shipping. Have you noticed the price of diesel fuel? Those big trucks get about 3-5 miles a gallon.

One of my LQS owners reminded me that people are losing their jobs because of this, too. I can't remember the fabric company she mentioned but it is located in Rhode Island and two other places. Upper Management decided to close one location - wasn't the one in Rhode Island. I can decide whether or not to buy a piece of fabric. I feel for those who will be affected by this.

Guess we just have to brace ourselves. :-(

Hey, you are not alone. We in the wonderful land of Aus. pay a lot too. Price rises weekly, 'specially petrol. As a frugal it drives me mad, but as much as I whinge...there are others doing it way tougher. I am thankful I have a roof over my head, food on my table and enough to cover the cost of living. It's times like these we have to remember the grassroots of quilting....recycle, upcycle, whatever...just keep stitching.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Timeless had held their prices for at least the last half-year... which I thought was pretty good. But the increases are inevitable these days. It's just a matter of who goes first... and last.
    Well, 25 cents and 35 cents isn't as bad as I thought it would be. So if you buy 4 yards of fabric it will be only about a $ increase. Just got gas the other day, first time in 3 weeks; my 11 gallons was almost $2 more than last time. That adds up. All the more reason to internet shop with free shipping.

The price of fabric nowadays has inspired me to "shop" in my stash closet - I just pulled out a queen size quilt kit that had the purchase date on it, 2006. Guess it's time to get going on this project LOL

Blog Entries
    I know the price of fabric going up is so going to hurt so many of us (and that is bad) but I just saw a peice on Good Morning America were a vial of medicine that women give themself injections of to prevent miscarriages just went from $20. to $1500. a vial because the government just ruled that only one company can sell it!!

I look at our economy right now as one big ponsy scheme. eventually the prices are going to get so high the average person will not be able to afford there living. As far as my fabric stash I have set aside for quilting and sewing clothes. With a song and prayer lets hope that things won't get any worse. What goes up must come down eventually.

when gas prices increase, everything increases...justified or not, just like gas...it is not justified, but what can you do? Try to be grateful for what we do have. Everytime we buy gas and DH says, OMG! I just say, thank you God, that we have the money to pay for what we really need....of course the want list is going down and the need list going up....but we really are so fortunate. One thing I am grateful for is that I am retired and I rarely MUST go anywhere and burn gas....I make my trips count. I feel for those who have a long commute and absolutely must burn gold in their tanks. You don't have to look far to find something to be greatful for.
    Michelle G.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Thanks for keeping us infomed, from the inside. It really is appreciated, even though the news is not good.
    Yes, I also thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Just got the news this morning that Timeless Treasures is increasing their prices 35 cents / yard effective April 1.

And then later today I got the news that Maywood is raising theirs 25 cents / yard effective next week.

Just another FYI...
    These are livable increases. Could be a whole lot worse, like several dollars a yard increase!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Well, 25 cents and 35 cents isn't as bad as I thought it would be. So if you buy 4 yards of fabric it will be only about a $ increase...
    Bear in mind that the price increases mentioned were at the wholesale, not retail level. For retailers that are doubling their wholesale cost, that would be a 50 - 75 cent increase.

Thanks for the information. DH and I are planning a mini-trip this weekend to some quilt shops. I was debating whether or not to increase my stash. Since it is hard to go into a shop and not buy anything, I am sure I will buy more fabric. Would hate to be the one that causes a shop to close! LOL. Besides, my stash does not require feeding or watering and it gives me pleasure to look at!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast