Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tying off a quilt instead of quilting?

I haven't heard many references to "tying off" a quilt. That is the way I was taught by my grandmother, but then, she was not an avid quilter. She did more knitting, crocheting, etc. When I had my children she helped me with baby quilts and we tied them off. Several years ago a client asked me to renew one side of a counterpane that his grandmother had made, and she had tied it instead of "quilting" it. Just wondering if anyone still does that!

There was a thread about a week ago--I tie about 30 a year for charity quilts....

Oh, yes, a lot of people still "tie off" a quilt, but I think they do it mainly on ones with thicker batting. Trying to hand or machine quilt a high-loft batting can be difficult. I did machine quilt one with a high-loft polyester batting when I was stll pretty new, tho. LOL, guess I didn't know any better!

I tie a lot of my quilts. I have just started free motion quilting.

tied a bit today

we tie charity quilts, but most of the rest i machine.

My first quilt was tied, made about 5 years ago. Since then, I've become enamored of machine quilting, and that's mostly what I do (with occasional forays into hand quilting).

Tying is all my mother and grandmother do. I really prefer the look of quilting, but if I needed a kids quilt in a hurry, I would tie one. I think it is good to know as many techniques as possible, so you can pick the right one for a particular quilt. I think tying would be good, for example, on a thick wool winter quilt. I've seen some great vintage ones like that.

Blog Entries
    because I have arthritis in my thumbs, holding a needle to handstitch is quite painful, therefore, I won"t be doing any handquilting. I've tied several large quilts in the past, and I enjoyed the process, and even like the look. I make quilts mainly for my family, and for them, it is the pretty pattern and colors they care most about, so it is a win-win for me.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Some of the quilts sent from this board for the Military Barracks Quilt Project were tied and looked darling.

Jan in VA

Thanks for the positive feedback. I love to make quilt tops and am also perfecting FMQing on small pieces. A lot of my work is for our charity group and try FMQing on pillows, cancer hats, lap quilts, etc. When I feel I have a handle on it, I Tying off" is still used!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    One of my sons likes tied quilts the best. They are nice and fluffy. I think it's a great way to finish a quilt and have done several that way :D

Blog Entries
    I tie for my charity quilts, I just did 5 of them and now time to serge.

Would some of you post pics of your tied quilts? I'd love to see them!

Blog Entries
    Here are a photo of quilts that were made for Lutheran World Relief.

LWR quilts
    Name:  Attachment-168907.jpe
Views: 50
Size:  57.3 KB

we some times tie off lap quilts for nursing home

Blog Entries
    Some quilts just look better IMHO tied, all of Gramas scrap quilts were so it might be the memories that prejudice me :D:D:D

I tie off the quilts I have made and am currently tying off one for GD.

I tied off a few of my first quilts. I like the old fashioned look of them. But lately I have prefered free motion quilting.

I helped my guild tie one quilt, and it was a back breaking experience. The quilt was set up on a frame, and we had to lean across it. Is that the way it's usually done?

I agree that there's a place for tied quilts (high loft batting, personal preference, etc.) but do they hold up as well as quilted ones?

I have tied flannel quilts and a couple of others that are cotton. As long as you tie them fairly close and with the new battings they hold up very well.

Quote Originally Posted by shelburn
    I haven't heard many references to "tying off" a quilt. That is the way I was taught by my grandmother, but then, she was not an avid quilter. She did more knitting, crocheting, etc. When I had my children she helped me with baby quilts and we tied them off. Several years ago a client asked me to renew one side of a counterpane that his grandmother had made, and she had tied it instead of "quilting" it. Just wondering if anyone still does that!

I have only about 2 1/2 yrs experience with quilts. I tie all of mine. I have tried hand quilting, but, the top looked good, but, underneath my stitches did not look anything like the top. I do have a little arthritis in my hands.
    I don't have a machine capable of taking on a large quilt. I can't afford to send one out either, so tying is for me.
    The quilts have turned out beautiful

According to my grandmother (who died at age 98 and made countless quilts in her lifetime), it's called a quilt because it is quilted. If it is tied, it is a comforter.

oh yeah, I tie about half the quilts I make, sometimes I tie & quilt on the same project, depends on my mood.

Most of my quilts have been tied, since I donate probably 99% of the quilts I make.

This is really good to hear; I sent a post asking about how to go about tying a quilt. (never did it before) I did not get any reply, but I found a video that shows me how to do this. Thanks to those who tie there quilts, If I run into any difficulties, I will send a PM asking for help.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast