Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tying off a quilt instead of quilting? >

Tying off a quilt instead of quilting?

Tying off a quilt instead of quilting?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 AM

how far apart are the ties
Old 01-31-2011, 09:22 AM

I tie with yarn or embroidery floss about 6 inches apart.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3
how far apart are the ties
The batting package tells you how far apart to tie. Generally I tie at each intersection/corner, but I don't make quilts with small pieces. So sometimes it's 4 inches but most it's a bit less. Some packages say 2 - 2 1/2.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmK
I have one made of Pine. The more you use it the easier it is to use. I use thumb tacks to put the back on. I stretch as much as I can safely stretch. Then I lay the batting on. I use from a company that makes snowmobile suits. It has never bunched up or worn out. then I lay the pieced top and stretch:that. After I tie and take the thumb tacks out it "poof's up" I like a soft poofy warm quilt. 20 below this AM
GrandmaK, where do you buy your snowmobile batting? This would be perfect for car quilts! And can you give a ballpark price? (Love your quilt and you sure remind me of my gramma at the quilt frame!! Great memories!)
Don't the thumb tacks leave holes in the material?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:35 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Randa, I see you are in Maynard...I am from Iowa and had to look up "where id Maynard"...found it close to Waverly where I went to college...I should have known......
Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 AM

No I have never had holes in the material. Maybe I think I stretch it tighter than I actually do!! LOL
This is the link to their site http://okleequilting.com/store/ They USE to be snowmobile store but a lot of quilters use them as you can see. I bought my first snowmobile suit from them 40 years ago and still have it. Don't wear it any more but could if I needed to. I washed it a lot also.
I usually buy the 6.5 oz but one time by mistake got the 8 oz and my husband complained it was to warm!!!!
We threw a piece in the washing machine (like a 12 inch square) with towels and it never changed shape even with no tying or anything to hold it in place. It makes a very cuddly quilt. Some times a few of us get together and order a row or 1/2 row and divide it up!! Hope this helps
Originally Posted by Randa
I have one made of Pine. The more you use it the easier it is to use. I use thumb tacks to put the back on. I stretch as much as I can safely stretch. Then I lay the batting on. I use from a company that makes snowmobile suits. It has never bunched up or worn out. then I lay the pieced top and stretch:that. After I tie and take the thumb tacks out it "poof's up" I like a soft poofy warm quilt. 20 below this AM
GrandmaK, where do you buy your snowmobile batting? This would be perfect for car quilts! And can you give a ballpark price? (Love your quilt and you sure remind me of my gramma at the quilt frame!! Great memories!)
Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
Randa, I see you are in Maynard...I am from Iowa and had to look up "where id Maynard"...found it close to Waverly where I went to college...I should have known......
We are about 40 miles from Waverly...8 from Oelwein. An hour from Waterloo. Where did you live as an Iowan?? I've been here all my life...born and raised in Fredericksburg (the home of Meinerz Creamery years ago!! Which probably only means something to someone from Fredericksburg!!! LOL!)
Old 02-01-2011, 03:25 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

I was born and raised till high school in Mason City. Graduated from Rockford High School and got my Associate Degree as a Parish Worker at Wartburg. I still have family in Mason City..I think my nephew Chris Frenz was on the radio in Fredricksburg before he went to KGLO.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:32 PM

No I have never had holes in the material. Maybe I think I stretch it tighter than I actually do!! LOL
This is the link to their site http://okleequilting.com/store/ They USE to be snowmobile store but a lot of quilters use them as you can see. I bought my first snowmobile suit from them 40 years ago and still have it. Don't wear it any more but could if I needed to. I washed it a lot also.
I usually buy the 6.5 oz but one time by mistake got the 8 oz and my husband complained it was to warm!!!!
We threw a piece in the washing machine (like a 12 inch square) with towels and it never changed shape even with no tying or anything to hold it in place. It makes a very cuddly quilt. Some times a few of us get together and order a row or 1/2 row and divide it up!! Hope this helps
Originally Posted by Randa
Thank you, Grandma K!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:47 PM

You are more than welcome. It makes me feel good to add something. The folks on here are so talented I learn a lot but don't always feel I can add much