Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tying off a quilt instead of quilting? >

Tying off a quilt instead of quilting?

Tying off a quilt instead of quilting?

Old 01-29-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by loishe
I loved reading about tying off quilts, since I am just learning from a 94 year old lady in our church. We are making quilts to give to people in our community who needs them, home burns or other reasons. I love tying them and they look so cozy when finished. I am binding them on my machine and am having some trouble with the high loft batting. I serged around one and that worked best. It was good to find out what others use for the ties. We are using yarn.
I love embroidery thread or cotton crochet yarn.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Power Poster

I tied one but prefer to quilt instead. No real reason just preference.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:42 AM

To Thrums~~ Thank you for the Orime Website. Oriental places, people and things have always fascinated me. Havee made several kimomos and have a few books on Eastern way of sewing and life.
Especially liked learning about the decatur knot. As I am left-handed, I will need to translate instructions. but that should be easy as I have had to deal with it all my life!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:56 AM

I have tied all of my quilts or comforters. Reason, we live where it`s cold and use high loft batting. I have one comforter left that I cannot give away as it has wool in it, and young people don`t know how to handle it. Also it is wise to knot the wool ones at 4 inches, this will hold the wool in place better. I knot with all of the threads mention here to-day. My children liked to twist thier fingers around the knots before they fell asleep. Also the frames mention here can be call quilting sticks. I resently had a carpenter make me a new set so I can make king size quilts (110X110 in.) I have a large room to set it up in.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:59 AM

Question, How many different types of knots are there. I would like to try them all. I especialy would like to do the knot that was made with yarn, and when it was done it looked like a rose. I think it could be made with other types of string too.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:47 AM

My grandmother and mother tied some quilts back in the early 60s. Quilts made by my other grandmother were inside the new material. In 2008, our home was destroyed be fire, three of Mama's quilts made it out with some damage. I will be putting new material top and bottom and tying these for my daughters. So they will have a quilt made by two great grandmothers, a grandmother, and their Mama. I have completed one. There is a lot "nostalgia" involved!
Old 01-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
I have tied all of my quilts or comforters. Reason, we live where it`s cold and use high loft batting. I have one comforter left that I cannot give away as it has wool in it, and young people don`t know how to handle it. Also it is wise to knot the wool ones at 4 inches, this will hold the wool in place better. I knot with all of the threads mention here to-day. My children liked to twist thier fingers around the knots before they fell asleep. Also the frames mention here can be call quilting sticks. I resently had a carpenter make me a new set so I can make king size quilts (110X110 in.) I have a large room to set it up in.
May I ask what kind of wood your new frame (sticks) were made of? And I'd like to know more about knots, too!!
Old 01-31-2011, 02:16 AM
Banned

I LOVE tied quilts, they are so comforting and lofty, not like the hard quilted to death ones, but as I only hand quilt am just out of the ditch and enjoying the freedom!!
But will continue to tie as well.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:20 AM

I have one made of Pine. The more you use it the easier it is to use. I use thumb tacks to put the back on. I stretch as much as I can safely stretch. Then I lay the batting on. I use from a company that makes snowmobile suits. It has never bunched up or worn out. then I lay the pieced top and stretch:that. After I tie and take the thumb tacks out it "poof's up" I like a soft poofy warm quilt. 20 below this AM

Pic of my mom working on a quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]137508[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-137503.jpe  
Old 01-31-2011, 08:54 AM

do you stich in the ditch before tying the quilt I have a log cabin I am making thinking about tying like they did before free motion.