Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tying a quilt - Using a curved needle - Hints? >

Tying a quilt - Using a curved needle - Hints?

Tying a quilt - Using a curved needle - Hints?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:05 PM

I grabbed some crochet thread this afternoon and a curved needle and thought I'd get a start on a quilt I have on the frame. Well, holding that curved needle is posing a problem. Hmm. I'm not sure just how to grasp the needle to be the most effective, I guess is the problem. :oops: I think the needle will make the whole process much easier but there's going to be a "learning curve" for sure! Why is everything difficult? I've googled working with curved needles and tying a quilt and the curved needle google came up with making sutures! Yuck! Guess all I can do is practice!

Have any of used a curved needle and do you have any suggestions? :idea: I've heard they are supposed to make this tying process much easier and faster but so far, not!

Guess I could go back to that old straight needle, huh? :?: No! Someone here will know just what to do, I'm sure of it!

Thanks in advance for all your assistance! It is most appreciated! :lol:
Old 05-20-2009, 04:09 PM

I've tied MANY quilts. I too was told the curved needle was easier. Nope, can't do it. I have a small straight needle I use that works great.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I've tied MANY quilts. I too was told the curved needle was easier. Nope, can't do it. I have a small straight needle I use that works great.
Rats! I was sure there was a really simple way to maneuver that needle and you'd know how! Okay, off to find a bigger eyed straight needle.

Thanks for confirming it's not just me that can't deal with that needle.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:26 PM

Did you see this site? http://www.thecraftstudio.com/qwc/tying.htm
Old 05-20-2009, 04:27 PM

I've used one. I can only tell you how I did it. I have no idea what the "right" way is.

I had my thumb on the inside of the curve and rocked it so the point was going into the fabric and I was pushing it towards me. If this doesn't make sense I'll see if I can find one and do some pictures.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:13 PM

I use the curved needle when I tie. I will admit that sometimes it isn't the easiest needle to use, but in my opinion is a lot easier than the straight needles. Maybe you could put a couple practice block sandwiches together and practice. Maybe, it will turn out that like Terri, you would be better off with a straight needle.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
I've used one. I can only tell you how I did it. I have no idea what the "right" way is.

I had my thumb on the inside of the curve and rocked it so the point was going into the fabric and I was pushing it towards me. If this doesn't make sense I'll see if I can find one and do some pictures.
Okay. I'll try this. I was going right to left but perhaps towards me will be easier. It's the grip on the needle that's bugging me. I'll put my little thumb on the inside curve and go for it.

Thimblebug, I did see that site. Alas, it didn't have the information I was looking for.

Pocoellie, Practice? Ah, shucks! I wanted to be the expert right off the bat! Ha! I know better! really! Basically this quilt is my practice quilt. I figure by the time I finish I'll either really like tying or not. One way or the other I will know!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:03 AM

The curved needle makes me feel as though I am handicapped at first, but like everyone says, you get your bearings and the momentum builds, then you are just singing along. Maybe your fingers are too smooth and you can't get a good handle on the needle, or your needle is too small-they come in many sizes.

I do this when the quilt is still stretched on the floor or table. The under surface stops the needle, that's when you push up. Similar to hand quilting, when the needle penetrates the fabric and reaches your finger/thimble.

I used the high-loft batting in the last two quilts that I tied, and the look and feel of a puffier quilt is well worth the effort.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:44 AM

I've always used a curved needle when I tie quilts. It was a little awkward at first but soon got the hang of it! (I was always bending my straight needles -- don't ask :oops: :oops: :oops: )
Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

My guild makes a lot of tied quilts for charity. We use a in and out stitch making the stitches about 6 inches long, not stopping until we run out of thread. We cut the stitches and tie. Needlenose pliers are a must to pull the the heavy thread through the layers.