Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hints for using "Cuddle" fabric >

Hints for using "Cuddle" fabric

Hints for using "Cuddle" fabric

Old 07-16-2019, 06:47 AM

Default Hints for using "Cuddle" fabric

...for a backing?

I am using a 80/20 batting and a regular, pieced cotton top.

The retailer told me to put the piece of fabric in the dryer for a few minutes so that all the loose bits from the cut edges would come off and there are no fluffies floating around.

Other than that, hints or tips on using this as the backing for a baby quilt?

I am planning to spray baste.

Watson
Old 07-16-2019, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Hi Watson ... I'll preface this with that I have not used Cuddle Fabric.
Though I am thinking what works for fleece may be much the same as for Cuddle.

For me, what works best is to reverse sandwich ... so quilt top on the table, then batting (if using).
Then fleece on top (which really is the bottom). With spray basting for each layer.

That way I know for sure that I have the top (which is the bottom of the sandwich) flat/straight/square on the table with painters tape and/or heavy duty clamps. Then I can work with the fleece and not end up with it overstretched or unevenly stretched.

At least, that is what has worked for me with fleece!

I'm guessing you have the faux hexie quilt finished and ready??
Old 07-16-2019, 07:15 AM

I recently made a few lap sized quilts with minky backing..

I washed/dryed all cotton fabrics to preshrink as the minky is poly and won't shrink.
Used 80/20 batting too.
When cutting, i used a lint roller to quickly clean up the fluffies.
I spray basted one and pin basted the other - never had any bunching either way.
Used 90/14 Topstitch needle.
Walking Foot to quilt - I think this really helped.
I used Poly thread - Superior Bottom Line - in the bobbin so it would 'sink' into the minky and my Aurifil 50 wt on top.

My notes-to-self afterwards: Don't ever get so ambitious as to quilt anything larger than lap size minky on the DSM as it's a lot to wrestle with under the needle.

I'm sure others more experienced will have more to add Look forward to hearing other ideas and seeing pics of your minky quilt!
Old 07-16-2019, 09:57 AM

Good ideas to baste it with the backing being the last layer so you can fuss with it and using a lint roller. I will definitely be using a bobbin thread with it as well and King Tut on top. I'll be doing it on my Mid-arm.

The Hanging Garden quilt is not quite done. Every join is on an angle so it is slower going than I thought it was going to be.

Watson
Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
...........The Hanging Garden quilt is not quite done. Every join is on an angle so it is slower going........
Smart Lady Watson!! ... thinking ahead, so once you are ready to move on,
you already have the plan in place and ready to go!!
Old 07-16-2019, 01:02 PM

when I use on LA, I make sure that the stretch is side to side and seems there is no problems at all. I would caution that those stitches sink in so nicely that having to rip out stitches is a major pain and basically has to be done from the top.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:27 PM

I often use cuddle fabric for backing and have not had any problems quilting it on my DSM. I don't do anything different with it than I do with cotton. I only do pin basting pinning liberally. When I first started using it, I hadn't heard anything scary about it so I just proceeded to quilt it. It does leave droppings when you cut it. You might take it outside and give it a shake after cutting, but after that it is fine. I like the way the quilting sinks into the back. Although, some types show more than others. I love it and so do my recipients. Other than cuddle, I use flannel. I like to have a cozy backing.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:30 AM

Do you have to pre-wash it?

Watson
Old 07-17-2019, 12:52 PM

Funny thing, I always wash all my cotton fabrics first, but I have never thought to wash the Minky. It doesn't bleed or shrink to my knowledge. I have made half a dozen quilts with Minky backing and have had an issue with only one - a dimpled fabric from JoAnn Fabrics. I always use Elmer's School Glue to baste the sandwich, but that particular backing wouldn't stick to the Elmer's. I had to spray baste it. Now I always use only Shannon Fabrics Cuddle.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:21 PM

I made a replacement dog bed liner for my bff using some fluorescent orange fleece I got on sale at Joann's. You can't see it with the naked eye, but there are millions of tiny pieces of that stuff all over my house. I know because I had an old kitty, and I used a black light flashlight to find accidents on the carpets. Well, holy flashing fibers, Batman, those little tiny fibers really do "glow in the dark!" So, good luck with trying to corral all the fibers from when you cut that fleece.