Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which type of applique stitch to use >

which type of applique stitch to use

which type of applique stitch to use

Old 03-04-2017, 08:04 PM

Default which type of applique stitch to use

I am collecting to blocks for the FatCat patterns BOM "Caught Ya" (link below). I would like to start making the blocks now but I am not sure which type of applique stitch would look the best. Could someone look at the pattern and give me their opinion of which to use? Wanted to add that I considered doing needle turn applique, but there are a lot of pieces and I'm not that good at needle turn, so I decided to go w/machine applique instead.

http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/

Thanks,
Jenna
Old 03-04-2017, 08:09 PM

I use the buttonhole stitch for my applique.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

I usually use a buttonhole stitch when doing fused applique. You could also use invisible thread and just stitch inside the pieces with a short stitch length. If you used invisible thread, you wouldn't have to change thead colours.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

For fusible, machine appliqué I use a small blanket stitch or small zigzag. Try both on a scrap and see which you prefer.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:32 AM

I like to use the blanket stitch as I think it looks the most traditional. I also like to use a technique that Eleanor Burns uses for applique. She uses a light weight fusible interfacing. She stitches the applique piece to the interfacing; cuts a slit in the back of the interfacing; turns the piece right side out; and, fuses it to the background of her picture. Then, she stitches around it. I am not sure what stitch she uses, but it looks very nice. There are so many ways to do this.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:51 AM

Thanks everyone. I have done the Eleanor Burns method and like it, but for this project I'm not sure it would be so easy. I think I will use the invisible thread so as to not have so many thread changes and then it wouldn't really matter which stitch I use. I think I will make a practice block and try out the different stitches to see which looks the best.

Any recommendations for brand of invisible thread? And how to use it.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:07 AM
DJ

I have used the blanket stitch with invisible thread and been very pleased with the results. With that thread, though, don't sew too fast. Also, when cutting thread, don't pull it taught or it will spring back. I don't usually like to use it in the bobbin. I think I use Sulky.

A test run is a very good idea.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:33 AM

I'm trying to figure out how the buttonhole stitch works in this context. Is it essentially the same as a satin stitch?
Old 03-05-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
I'm trying to figure out how the buttonhole stitch works in this context. Is it essentially the same as a satin stitch?
No. It's not solid like a satin stitch. It's just a regular buttonhole stitch on the machine which is not the stitch you use to make buttonholes. It's like the stitch that they used to use when making button holes by hand.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
No. It's not solid like a satin stitch. It's just a regular buttonhole stitch on the machine which is not the stitch you use to make buttonholes. It's like the stitch that they used to use when making button holes by hand.
Thanks for the explanation. I'll keep this one in mind next time I do appliqué.