Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Type of paper used for paper piecing? >

Type of paper used for paper piecing?

Type of paper used for paper piecing?

Old 10-14-2014, 04:16 PM

We have a local newspaper printing done in Spokane,WA. We can call the paper make an appt and go get as many of the end of spool rolls that are used in there machinery that they have at the time. Teachers use this too, for long posters in classrooms. I've got three rolls that I've had for 6 years still not used up. Certainly check into customer relations of any local paper near you. That unprinted newsprint is perfect.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:20 PM

I just use a school size paper cutter if I need it to fit my printer.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:26 PM

I just had to jump in when someone mentioned buying newsprint from Amazon. I have a fabulous idea for you. Call your local newspaper and ask if they have any "end rolls" of newsprint. Our newspaper has it and offers it for sale. My hubby brought home a 40 pound roll, and it cost a whopping $3.00 !! Yes, only $3.00 !! The reason I had purchased it was to wrap items for packing to move. Home Depot had a package of 70 sheets for $12.95 !! The roll I have would make probably 30 or more packages. Needless to say I was very, very excited. It was later that I realized all I had to do is cut it in sheets, stack them and cut them on my paper cutter to fit into my copy machine! If I only used it for PP I would have enough for a lifetime. Do check your newspaper companies Melinda
Old 10-14-2014, 09:09 PM

I've never attempted pp'ing but someday when I get regular quilting down, it is one of the many things I am looking forward to learning. I'm saving this whole posting on paper piecing for the future, thanks everyone for your input.
Jeri
Old 10-15-2014, 08:40 AM

As a newbie to PP, I don't know much about it but I did notice something as I was ripping paper last night, which might be helpful if people are having trouble with copy paper.

I use a bigger needle, the 1.5 stitch setting, and when I rip out the paper, I do it carefully, the way I would rip a check out of my checkbook. fold it up on the perforation, then unfold and tear carefully, pulling away from the perforation, not ripping it upward. Once one side of the perforated paper is torn off at the perforation line, the other side comes right off, and there is no upward stress on the stitches to pull them loose.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
As a newbie to PP, I don't know much about it but I did notice something as I was ripping paper last night, which might be helpful if people are having trouble with copy paper.

I use a bigger needle, the 1.5 stitch setting, and when I rip out the paper, I do it carefully, the way I would rip a check out of my checkbook. fold it up on the perforation, then unfold and tear carefully, pulling away from the perforation, not ripping it upward. Once one side of the perforated paper is torn off at the perforation line, the other side comes right off, and there is no upward stress on the stitches to pull them loose.
SueSew ... go ahead and shorten your stitch length more!!!
I use no larger than 1.0 and sometimes even shorter!
It'll save you a lot of frustrations .....
Old 10-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
SueSew ... go ahead and shorten your stitch length more!!!
I use no larger than 1.0 and sometimes even shorter!
It'll save you a lot of frustrations .....
QuiltE, My Janome won't go lower than 1 - it goes straight to zero. Hmmm maybe my old elna would, I'll have to try it. but one??? that is the stitch length of the width of a hand-quilting needle, thin-thin! Well, next round in the medallion is the star blocks and they are paper-pieced too so I will try it. THANK YOU ! Can I leave work now? LOL Can't wait!
Old 10-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
QuiltE, My Janome won't go lower than 1 - it goes straight to zero. Hmmm maybe my old elna would, I'll have to try it. but one??? that is the stitch length of the width of a hand-quilting needle, thin-thin! Well, next round in the medallion is the star blocks and they are paper-pieced too so I will try it. THANK YOU ! Can I leave work now? LOL Can't wait!
Sure yope you have left work and are sewing to your heart's content.
Yes, 1.0 .... lower than the 1.5 you have been using.
I did a LOT of PPing with my Janome at the 1.0 ..... slick as can be, and I seldom had any problems getting the pieces to come off. If it was tedious, I would not have lasted with PPing!
Old 10-16-2014, 12:29 AM

I love this paper - it is great to use - traces easily and tears very well without pulling stitches.

http://www.goldenthreads.com/shop/pr...ting-paper-12/
Old 10-16-2014, 03:11 AM

...also use a pin point to score across the stitched paper, then pull gently, helps tear the paper without yanking those stitches......