Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it typical for a quilt shop to not take a pattern as a return or exchange? >

Is it typical for a quilt shop to not take a pattern as a return or exchange?

Is it typical for a quilt shop to not take a pattern as a return or exchange?

Old 12-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Any quilt stores and fabric stores I have been to do not take back patterns or books. There has been a problem with people photocoping patterns from pkgs and books and then wanting to return them. They also try and return them when they have had them a long time and haven't used them.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
I have found it to be the same in my experience. I do sometimes like to look at the inside of a pattern to make sure it is not beyond my abilities. However, I was at a quilt show in March, and they saw me look at the inner part of a pattern (it was really pretty, but just wasn't sure if I could make it. I wanted to make sure the directions were clear and concise. and it had a zip lock top) The proprietress came over and said, "I am sorry, you can't do that. It is a violation of copyright laws." She was polite, but I felt like a criminal....after all, I wasn't copying it. And if she thought I could glance at a pattern and memorize the directions, then I must look way more intelligent than I am ;-)
This is kind of crazy, considering you can look through the books at the patterns. Why don't they think we can memorize patterns in books?
Old 12-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

yes, i bought two computer help books at borders,books and music and called them the next day to see if i could return one. luckily they said yes. i paid by check but they gave me my money back. i would have hated to wait up to 10 days to return it due to paying by ck because i'd always feel they would have figured i'd copied the book and wanted it "for free".
believe me, some people do that!!
the store should have just given you store credit.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
I have found it to be the same in my experience. I do sometimes like to look at the inside of a pattern to make sure it is not beyond my abilities. However, I was at a quilt show in March, and they saw me look at the inner part of a pattern (it was really pretty, but just wasn't sure if I could make it. I wanted to make sure the directions were clear and concise. and it had a zip lock top) The proprietress came over and said, "I am sorry, you can't do that. It is a violation of copyright laws." She was polite, but I felt like a criminal....after all, I wasn't copying it. And if she thought I could glance at a pattern and memorize the directions, then I must look way more intelligent than I am ;-)
First of all, looking at a pattern is in no way a violation of copyright law. And if she had said that to me, I would have asked her to show me, exactly, where it says that glancing or reading anything is a violation. Hers is a ridiculous assertion.

Now had you purchased it & tried to return it, that still is not a violation of copyright law, but as a shop owner she is within her rights to decide whether or not to take anything back at all. And most places will not accept returns on patterns, and I don't blame them. These days, some people will buy something, scan it into their computer and make a return if they can. Frankly, I don't know of any quilter that would do that; we all like to keep our stuff too much.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:42 PM

Yarn shops do the same thing. It would be so easy for someone who doesn't have scruples to take it home, copy it and return it. And think of all the people with printers that copy or scan at home, now.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:54 PM

Yes, It is very typical around here!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:19 AM

Had I called the shop immediately after I got home and took the other pattern with me, they would probably have exchanged for another. But, they do know me well and know I would not cheat them.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:28 AM

So now you have a gift for your favorite quilting friend!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:12 AM

Last I knew, Joann's will take back pattern from like McCalls and the like if you have a receipt that is within 90 days. Same with books and quilting pattern. Just check with the store prior to purchasing them.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:12 AM

Last I knew, Joann's will take back pattern from like McCalls and the like if you have a receipt that is within 90 days. Same with books and quilting pattern. Just check with the store prior to purchasing them.