Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tyvek >

Tyvek

Tyvek

Old 12-02-2010, 05:33 AM

What a great idea! We have a friend who is a contractor and just started building some retirement condos. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by bourvel
I wonder if it's a good idea to make lunch bags with this, I would be worried about being toxic. do you have any idea
It is a spun polyethylene. Not toxic for all sorts of uses. It is recommended for reuseable bags, and used in homes etc. I personally would not try to eat it any more than any other plastic. It's manufacturing processes do not use additives nor release agents, that have been part of the problem with other plastics.

There is no cytotoxic response using biologic cell testing. This testing has been documented. Tyvek suits are worn in medical applications all day with skin contact. I have not seen any reactions after managing many employees wearing these garments. Dupont has not performed any reuse testing. Therefore, they cannot recommend reuse and laundering. This does not mean it can't be done, only that for the uses Dupont created it for, no testing for reuse was performed.

See earlier posts regarding high temperature exposure.

Be aware that Tyvek is not impermeable to all liquids, just those with molecular sizes larger than H2O (water). Tyvek is porous to some gases, etc. This is most relervant to someone wanting to use it as a protection from some sort of toxic liquid.

Some may argue that infant formula and other things erupting from babies are toxic, but we make our own judgements there! ;)
Old 12-02-2010, 06:51 PM

Hello, Tink74. I see you are in Villa Park...I'm in Elmhurst right next door! :D :-) :P
Old 12-03-2010, 03:51 PM

I had to go to the hardware store today and decided to find out if it's available in small quantities. Turns out that store carries it but in huge quantities for insulating new homes, nothing in yardage or even small rolls. So, I guess I'll have to find a contractor and ask for castoffs.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:13 AM

I did my own little test Friday at work (I work in surgery and we use this product daily to gas sterilize our reusable instruments) and of course it passed the sturdy/sew test, but it failed miserably the water test...the second it got wet, it leaked out...not good for waterproofing bibs...my search continues...
Old 12-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Great ideas!
Old 12-05-2010, 10:58 AM

I kept some scrap of Tyvek and figured some day it will come in handy! Cool.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 AM

many thanks for your answer about being toxic. I sew some lunch bags for sandwiches and fruits and veggies for my great grand nieces, I will try to make them with tyvek and see how they come out. I don't intend my lunch bags for liquids, just solid food and then you just wipe them clean after each use. It's great for saving the planet.