Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO Challenge of the Month 2010 >

UFO Challenge of the Month 2010

UFO Challenge of the Month 2010

Old 03-05-2010, 12:02 PM

So much for stash busting. I went to a garage sale this morning and bought 97 (yes, I measured them) yards of fabric. I've got one more load to wash and I'll be done. One of my friends had dabbled in quilting before she got sick and I bought almost all of her fabric. She passed away late last fall. Great buys though. Two cutting mats, two large rulers, 20 new artist paint brushes, 6 books, 8yds of woven belting and a large sketch pad all for $38. Her son said that he was going to dig out more fabric tonight if I want to come back tomorrow. You know I will.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:49 PM

I can't believe you did that, then had the nerve to brag about it to us. LOL
Old 03-05-2010, 11:04 PM

I think I'm hopelessly addicted and the worst kind of addict---don't try an intervention here. :lol: Not only do I love fabric, I just can't seem to pass up such a bargain. It's all been washed now so no more smoke smell at least until I go back. I'll divide it up and have some to share with my sisters when the come down from Michigan for a visit. If I go there they always send home a bag of fabric and if they come here I send one home with them. There's always one "challenge" piece in it---one piece that is so ugly that the recipient will be challenged to use it. Then we send each other pictures showing how we used it. A couple of years ago they send me home with a greeny-gray and road paint yellow camouflage fabric that also had a pale blue orchid every 8". I used it for a prairie skirt for my daughter and fussy cut one of the orchids to applique on the road paint yellow prairie blouse I made for her. It was far prettier than it sounds. My daughter was complimented many many times on her outfit and my sisters had good laugh when I said, "You never said I had to use it in a quilt."
Old 03-06-2010, 07:45 AM

I can't figure out if i follow ths sight for the great information or the great sense if humor and great stories. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
So much for stash busting. I went to a garage sale this morning and bought 97 (yes, I measured them) yards of fabric. I've got one more load to wash and I'll be done. One of my friends had dabbled in quilting before she got sick and I bought almost all of her fabric. She passed away late last fall. Great buys though. Two cutting mats, two large rulers, 20 new artist paint brushes, 6 books, 8yds of woven belting and a large sketch pad all for $38. Her son said that he was going to dig out more fabric tonight if I want to come back tomorrow. You know I will.
Did you go back today? Of course, you did. What did you get? Sorry for the loss of your friend but I'll bet she's happy that you are going to make good use of her supplies/notions and stash.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:15 AM

Yes, of course. I bought another stack of fabric today for 6 dollars. I'm not sure how much is there yet. I had such a bad headache from the smoke smell when I measured it all last night that today I came home and took it straight to the basement. I know I got 1 flat twin white sheet, 3 1/2 yds of white, 2 1/2 yards of beige plus a load of light fabrics and a load of dark fabrics. The whites are done, the lights are in the dryer and the darks are in the washer. I've even used baking soda and vinegar in each load to rid them of the smell. And I even used to be a smoker!! That was before I joined our church---back in my wild and wooly days. Been off them for 4 years now. :-D I'll measure the last of the fabric when it's clean and give you a total. Now I just need to find a place to put it. Does anyone out there have a room/house stretcher???
Old 03-06-2010, 12:36 PM

My $6 this morning got me 37 more yards of fabric. That's just too good to pass up. It took a lot of carrying, washing, drying and folding but worth every penny and then some. Grand total:134 yds. But I ran into the lady that bought all the thread and she asked if there had been any Americana fabric. When I said yes a little, she asked if I'd be willing to sell it to her. I believe I can afford to "gift" her with it don't you? I did tell her that she could just have it and I probably had some more at home that she could have. I guess it's still considered stash busting if you give some of it to other quilters.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 PM

I would join the UFO
Shirleyt
Old 03-06-2010, 11:20 PM

I am so in...I have so many UFOs......have been working on a couple will have to catch up though - did you all finish one in January and February?
Old 03-07-2010, 05:08 AM

I consider a UFO finished when I get the top done. Then it becomes a "Lady in Waiting". So I've finished 2 kings, 2 couch throws, 1 wall hanging. I've worked on 4 more but they are finished yet.