Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 36 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: UFO Challenge of the Month 2010

Here is the official thread for the UFO Challenge of the Month 2010!

The way it works: anyone can be a member and there are no penalties if you're busy one month. Try to finish one UFO each month. Once it's finished, post a picture and description here. We'll ooh and ahh. Try to finish another one next month.

This can also work if you need ideas for how to finish yours or encouragement. I want this to be an area where we can support each other in getting through our UFOs for 2010.

And the way I differentiate a UFO with a WIP - a UFO is something that you put down awhile ago and don't feel a strong desire to pick up again since there are more exciting things to do. So pretty much any of those projects that you put into your closet and forgot about qualify.

So everyone's challenge/goal: 1 UFO completed by January 31, 2010. Good luck!

**********annoying Moderatorish note from PatriceJ**********

"finished" means all the way done and ready to use.

personally, i also count as "finished" anything i've given or traded away because i know i'll never follow through with it until it's properly done. (i prefer to give rather than trade. if i trade then all i get for my trouble is another stinkin' UFO! :lol:

SWAPPING is NOT part of this challenge. naturally, if members want to trade between themselves that's just fine. i mean only that it isn't a part of this and should be done separately between individuals.

here's wishing all of us good luck and LOTS of energy in 2010! :lol:

What if it's something that we really don't think we'll ever want to finish? Can we give it away here??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Give it away then get back when its done? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh, I see another sort of swap brewing here. 'I have this piece of whatever, who wants to swap for something else'. Lucy, see what you have started!

I have a UFO, only one that is not talking to me at all. I guess a challenge thrown down is one that must be picked up! I am in.

Quote Originally Posted by dglvr
    Give it away then get back when its done? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Sounds good to me :lol:

Hmmm the only UFO I have at the moment is for step-son and daughter-in-law...my goal is to have it finished for their first anniversary in May. (It is HUGE!!)
    Not sure if my January project counts as an UFO. I have LOTS of squares pre-cut to be made into tops while I am not able to cut for a while. So...beginning Jan....pre-UFO, end January...UFO for Feb? ;)

Will this thread be staying at the top so we can find it easily?

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    Oh, I see another sort of swap brewing here. 'I have this piece of whatever, who wants to swap for something else'. Lucy, see what you have started!
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

Blog Entries
    I don't have enough UFO's yet for one a month for a year, but I will join to finish the ones I do have, and will happily cheer everyone else on :D:D:D

I am sitting here counting up my UFo's and WIP's I come up with 10. I have one that I will actually finish today so will only 9 starting the New Year. Don't seem like that many but being I don't sew that often except during breaks,it might take me the whole year to complete these especially if I start any new projects.But I think it will be a good way to encourage each other along the way so count me in.
    Muriel

I'm up for the challenge. I have a few that I will have to twist my arm to get me to finish. I just don't like them. I have picked up one I started last Feb. and set aside. I want to finish it by New Years so I can start my 2010 list with 1 crossed off. That can be my 1 for Jan. Oh, just thinking- I could finish my New Year's day mystery quilt 2009 on 1/1/10 and make 2 for Jan. done. Then use it for a baby shower gift on the 16th!

This could be a challenge I can win!

Play with as many UFOs as you have. If you have under 12, wow, I'm impressed :D For the rest of us, let's shoot for under 12!

And I really want this to be more on the fun side, so we won't run you out of the group if you just cut up pieces and want that to be your UFO, it's okay

I have 8 UFOs. 3 just need sandwiching and quilting. rest are either cut out or cut and partially assembled.

I'll join in. I seem to be making blocks but no quilts lately!
    I must get organized and work on tops then quilts.

Does done mean the top is done, or the whole thing (quilted, bound) is done?

If it's just the tops, I'm in!

Hi all,

I just joined yesterday, and already I'm in!

Here is my first: my blocks of the month from last year.
    In my guild we each get a turn One month in a year)preparing a design for the members of the swap to do. The next month we give our completed block to that member.
    The design in my avatar is called "nine patch and hourglass on the double". I got about 15 back in September, and they are still waiting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
    Does done mean the top is done, or the whole thing (quilted, bound) is done?

If it's just the tops, I'm in!
    Whichever you want? Mine definition of "done" is completely finished since I seem to make tops and lose interest. Please feel free to join if your goal is to finish tops

Quote Originally Posted by mc2fran
    Here is my first: my blocks of the month from last year.
    In my guild we each get a turn One month in a year)preparing a design for the members of the swap to do. The next month we give our completed block to that member.
    The design in my avatar is called "nine patch and hourglass on the double". I got about 15 back in September, and they are still waiting for me.
    I have 2 sets of Blocks of the Month that are on my UFO list... though not for this month :D :D

Blog Entries
    I don't want to count my UFO's; know I will have enough for every month :roll: Now what should I finish first? Thanks for the challenge.

Blog Entries
    "finished" means all the way done and ready to use.

personally, i also count as "finished" anything i've given or traded away because i know i'll never follow through with it until it's properly done. (i prefer to give rather than trade. if i trade then all i get for my trouble is another stinkin' UFO! :lol:

SWAPPING is NOT part of this challenge. naturally, if members want to trade between themselves that's just fine. i mean only that it isn't a part of this and should be done separately between individuals.

i'm gathering up all my WIPs and UFOs this week and working furiously to organize and inventory in preparation for this challenge. i'm even going to take "before" photos on 31 Dec so i'll know where i started the year on each project. i figure it will be a minor miracle if i don't end 2010 with the same number of UFOs or more. :lol:

Blog Entries
    since my machine is now in the shop for repairs i pulled out a wool hand applique project i started last winter, and put aside, (and i really should have done this last year...I am Lovin' it!) it is going to turn out FABULOUS!
    so, i am on my way to finishing my first ufo for 2010!
    it might take me most of the month, but oh so worth it!
    it is so good to have all of you for incentive and just the right amount of (push) :)

Amma you can help with mine as I have some going back years and years as there is always something new to make. All those classes and all those starts. Now just what storage bin are they in? Seriously you can count me in on this challenge.

Looking at this challenge brought to mind all the projects that are UFOs, sitting around the house in their various containers... I feel so bad because I get a great idea, and get started, then get interrupted by life and the project gets set aside.

For instance, I have all the squares finished for a quilt for my parents - supposed to be for their 60th anniversary. Boy, am I bad... They celebrated their 66th in 2009. So that is my biggy this year, to finish that quilt. I hope that qualifies for this. It will probably be the only UFO I finish, because I will be adding pictures and handquilting.

If you'll let me in on the challenge with this goal, I'm in.

Page 1 of 36 1 2 11 ... LastLast