Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UFO - Should I dig it out?

UFO - Should I dig it out?

OK, this seems really silly, but I have a UFO that I'm not sure I want to pull out to try to finish. A bit of history....I started quilting probably 25 years ago and quilted for about 10 years or so. The last project I worked on was a kaleidoscope quilt using fabric from my young son's curtains in our old house. I had to buy more fabric and the fabric runs weren't exactly the same so the sets of pieces for the kaleidoscope blocks weren't perfect. And I'm a perfectionist. It was a very frustrating for me, especially since I had cut up curtains that I had made for him. If I remember correctly, I have the top mostly together except for the borders, which again were requiring matching of fabric from 2 different runs. This was the last quilt I worked on before I took a 10 year break. The quilt wasn't the whole reason. I discovered scrapbooking and took a detour for a while, but have found my way back to quilting because I missed it. I've been "back" for about 4 years. This top that isn't finished keeps haunting me, but I'm half afraid to find it to work on and get totally frustrated again and stop quilting. My son is now 19, so the juvenile animal print isn't something I could really even use for anyone I know. Am I just being silly? Should I find it and finish it?

I think we all have a few of those type of UFO's. My first thought was get it out, look at it, see if you want to finish it and if so, just do it. If you look at it and still just totally frustrated by the whole thing, pack it up and give it to a thrift store for someone else to find and maybe finish. No reason to beat yourself up over it. Or after looking at it and still like it, but it is better to save it for a future grandchild and don't want to finish it now, no big deal. I am better when I have a purpose for a quilt to get it done. If it is for me, then it may take years.

Yes, I think you should finish and save for his children. You can put a little story with it so his family will know how much you put in this and about the fabric. Show us a picture please. You will be glad you finished this special UFO.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Life is too short to work on projects that don't bring you joy.

I wouldn't mess with it unless you really wanted to. It's okay not to finish everything.

Dina

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterjody View Post
    Life is too short to work on projects that don't bring you joy.
    Amen to that!! If you didn't like it then, you probably won't like it now. Give yourself a break and pass it along. or, heck, even take it apart and reuse SOME of it.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Get the monkey off your back and donate it! Don't count on using it for grandchildren. Styles change. What we liked is thought of as "old fashioned" by new moms.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Blog Entries
    You need to do something with it. Take it out look, buttons cover multitude of imperfections. He may like it and keep for grand babies. If it stays where it is it will fester in your mind.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Have a look at it, if you are not going to enjoy it, then I'm with the others donate it, bin it, get rid and move on. If you have another look and think hey it's not that bad then finish it. Quilting is a hobby and something to enjoy not endure. We have enough in our life we need to endure and sometimes not enough to enjoy.

Don't beat yourself over this. Count it as a learning experience. We all have things we look back on and think what was I thinking. As my granddaughter reminded me when she was stuck in the mud "we're making memories".

As the song I hate says, "Let it go, let it go....." Start on something new and exciting that inspires you to sew and quilt. Not all UFO's deserve to be finished. If you hate to toss out fabric, donate it to someone. Unfinished. Another quilter may love it and finish it.

I have a UFO from the early 90's. It became a UFO because I moved prior to finishing. I periodically think about his quilt and have these pangs of guilt that it was never finished. I have finally decided to liberate myself from this guilt I have carried for way too long. I will donate it to a beginner long arm for practice or toss it. My skills have gotten so much better that it is not something I would be proud to claim as one of my quilts.
    Its very liberating to move on.

Perhaps finish it. The quilt it with simple quilting. Then take it and your son to the Childrens hospital and give it to a little boy. He will love it. A project finished and a wonderful feeling accomplished. Luann
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

Quote Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
    Have a look at it, if you are not going to enjoy it, then I'm with the others donate it, bin it, get rid and move on. If you have another look and think hey it's not that bad then finish it. Quilting is a hobby and something to enjoy not endure. We have enough in our life we need to endure and sometimes not enough to enjoy.
    Well said!
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

I agree with Dina and Jan. Find a local charity that will be delighted to have one of their members finish the quilt.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I'd dig it out and see if your feelings have changed at all. I just re-found a UFO that I was stuck on and now I know what to do with it. I'm going to cut out the parts I like and reuse them. (This is a painted panel that I made in a class). But, as others have said, if it is still dragging you down, definitely pass it on. It may just be what someone else would love to use.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I agree but don't be in a hurry, he is only 19. You could turn it into a jungle quilt with the addition of animals. by time he has his own children, you have a quilt that started with dad. You could put it into a box and label it (your son's name) jungle quilt.
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
    Yes, I think you should finish and save for his children. You can put a little story with it so his family will know how much you put in this and about the fabric. Show us a picture please. You will be glad you finished this special UFO.

Pull it out, look at it.It may not be as bad as you fear.I recently did this,and was surprised how well it actually looks,now it is in the pile to quilt the next few months. If it is looking kind iffy, or even a twinge of negative emotion starts,then use the UFO in other ways,section it out for pet beds(if you have pets), pillow tops/blankies for future grandchild, even tension/bobbin setting practice cloths, or put it in the goodwill bin for some other quilter to find it to work with. Only you can decide on this, but what ever the decision, keep you in mind that it will be for you to do in a positive step,not ever a negative one. Frustration, guilt, ect. are very negative and your life, and the time you have with it, is more valuable than a UFO. And yes, I get that you have a sentimental attachment to this project because of the material being from curtains you made for son's room, but I bet you didn't keep every stitch of clothing you got him throughout his years growing up either.LOL!Though I know if you are like me, you kept somethings(my son is late 30's and I kept some,to include is graduation gown... Seriously, good luck in any decision you make.

Some projects have taught me a great deal and I have to accept that as the objective and let "finishing it" go. I agree that life is too short to work on projects that do not bring you joy. Quilts involve a huge time investment. Personally, I think my time is valuable!
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Think of the story you'll have about this quilt! If it's nagging you, pull it out and go to work on it. Nothing says you can't put it down again.

Blog Entries
    Let it go is good advice. I made 2 quilts for grandchildren that have never arrived. Those quilts hang in my closet. I'm thinking the next person in my life who has a grandchild is getting one of them. Your UFO is taking up physical and mental space. Look at it and decide. Keep or pass on. Then do whichever and clear your mind of it.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

If you are a sentimental type, you might enjoy it yourself as you have memories of the fabrics and the early efforts to make it. I have a quilt that my mother made using fabrics from my clothes when I was a teen. My kids have no ties to that and the quilt is not "beautiful" but my memories are among those fabrics. It's special to me! Finish the quilt and enjoy it yourself.

Power Poster
    I don't believe there is a "rule" that says we have to finish every quilt that we start, because quilting should be fun and not a chore. Perhaps when your son has children you can finish it for them; but for now I would leave it as a UFO, or donate it to a charity.

I'm in the "if you don't enjoy it, don't do it" camp.

There's a book about organization and de-cluttering that I read a review of. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the book or the author. Basically, what I learned the review was that her approach is if it doesn't bring you joy, get rid of it. Give it away, donate it, sell it, throw it out, depending on what "it" is.

I've started using this theory and am already seeing results in my closet. Why do I keep things I don't wear? Yes, I spent money on them at some point, but if I no longer like them, and don't wear them any more, they are just in the way, even if they are perfectly good. So I donate them.

There is a forum for charities and donations, if you check over there you might find a group that would love to have something like this for a child. Locally, we have a Quilts for the Needy group that finishes all sorts of quilts, from utility to basic to no longer wanted. At Christmas, they are given to families who are in need.

This was a good learning experience but now you have moved on. Let it go. Donate it to me! I'll finish it, quilt it and send it to charity!!! I love these kind of challenges. I make about 30 baby quilts and then a few juvenile quilts for our local pregnancy center each year!!! Contact me privately. Thanks,
    Cheryl from the Quilt Palace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast