Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO's, the laugh is on me. >

UFO's, the laugh is on me.

UFO's, the laugh is on me.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:15 AM

In that case, SueSew, I have enough PFPs to keep me from purchasing fabric for awhile! I've decided for the rest of this year I will not purchase any more fabric unless it is needed to finish a UFO. I've got enough PFPs to keep the creative juices flowing for awhile. Whether they are called UFOs or PFPs...I've got to see the potential of things in my stash to help me control myself in fabric stores!!!

Good idea, Toverly, to make a list. I think I need to do the same. I'm trying to really focus on using what I have for awhile. (To make room for more to be added later of course!)
Old 07-10-2014, 05:53 AM

"Lists? We don need no stinkin lists!" ROFL! Nope, not a UFO until I officially start it and get bored enough to put it aside unfinished. Until then it's just stash and ideas floating around in my imagination. A list might make me feel guilty, and I don't need that on top of my other stresses!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I'm with Dunster. Can't be a UFO until it is started.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I'm with those that say "it's not a UFO until it has been started and set aside"

Started means that at least some of the pieces have been cut -
Old 07-10-2014, 06:35 AM

I like lists too. They help me focus. I think I have a little ADD. Last year I made a list of UFO's and I was able to complete 14 quilts. Of course some of the quilts on that list are still on the list for this year. Other projects keep jumping to the top of the list. The ones I have the most trouble finishing are the block of the month quilts. I still have 5 of these to finish. My goal this year is to finish at least 3 of the BOM quilts. I have finished 6 quilts so far this year. None of them are the BOM.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:46 AM

I went through mine the other day and put notes with the fabric for the quilt I bought it for. Why do I keep buying fabric and collecting patterns? Oh, my. Each time I go to WalMart, I have to buy more plastic containers. I'm running out of room.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Having a list is a start.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:16 AM

Last year, when I counted my UFOs and almost had a heart attack, I joined the UFO challenge here on the Board. The goal is to complete one UFO per month. I made a list (which initially freaked me out even more!) and put it up on my bulletin board. When I complete a UFO, I take a picture and post it to the UFO challenge and everyone there is so supportive and congratulatory when a UFO is completed. I also put a line through the project on my list, with the month that I completed it. I absolutely LOVE looking at that list with things crossed off! Doing this has helped me in a couple of ways: 1) Positive reinforcement from others; 2) all of my UFOs are now in one place, each with their own container; 3) as I was organizing UFOs, I came across a couple of things that I had started that didn't have any instructions. At that time I either came up with a different idea for using the fabrics, put the fabrics in my scrap bin, or passed the fabrics on to someone else to make something. That also decreased my UFO total. Just know that you are not alone, and since we are all in the same boat, we all get excited when anyone finishes anything!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:06 AM

It's kind of a shock when you count it all up like that. . Same thing happened to me. We better get busy sewing, eh?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 AM

I made a list of all my UFOs and it has helped me to focus and get them finished. My list was quite long (without counting I think the list was something like 28 items), but I wasn't overly surprised since I knew they were there--just hadn't counted them exactly. I have been diligently working on these items and I am happy to say several of them are complete and three or four more are in various stages of completion. The list was a big help to me and when I can cross off an item, it is motivation to continue! I say do whatever works! And if you don't mind having UFOs, that's okay, too. We should enjoy quilting and if the UFOs don't bother you, they don't bother me. I felt personally that I wanted to finish the projects I had begun because I have more than I want to do and wanted these off my list first.