Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFOs and WIPs >

UFOs and WIPs

UFOs and WIPs

Old 01-20-2019, 10:25 AM

This was an interesting topic to see discussion on. I belong to a wonderful and active quilt guild that meets every Tuesday....and a wonderful and active sewing/quilting group that meets every Monday. In each group we do some kind of BOM, so I always have two of those going slowly over a year's time. In guild, we have what we call a Blottery: someone demonstrates a block that each of us makes in a given color scheme to bring back the following month. However many blocks collected are divided into what could make a quilt of some size or even a table runner. Everyone puts her name in a drawing once for each block they contributed. Then, names are drawn for winners of block stacks to make whatever they wish. I have won blocks twice in the past year, but haven't completed a project from them yet. Additionally, at guild, we offer lots of classes either given by a member or by a guest teacher. I nearly always sign up for the classes, and they add to my WIP/UFOs. But, you just can't pass up the opportunity to take a class being taught by Bonnie Hunter, Karen Kay Buckley, Karen Combs, Susan Cleveland, and more. We have great teachers come in!! The projects I started with each of them is ongoing. Bottom line is that I have many, many, many projects in the works, and more stash than I deserve. Thankfully, I do have a dedicated sewing room with several machines including a 10' longarm and a new embroidery machine. The room is absolutely happy chaos!!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:40 AM

I do one quilt at a time. However, I do buy fabric for my "next" quilt while before I'm done quilting the current one. Of course, this leads to a huge stack of fabric of "quilts in waiting" which is my downfall.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:41 AM

I think more than one or maybe two projects going at the same time is too distracting and this is what causes these projects to become UFO's. I normally work on one thing at a time. I can focus on what I thinking about trying/doing next. If I have too many "things" laying out to be worked on, I spend the majority of my time jumping from one to another and therefore, get nothing done.

The only reason I start something new before finishing a current project is because I have taken a class. When I take classes it is because I want to learn a technique. If I do not continue with the class project, to make a completed quilt, that does not qualify as a UFO. It is learning the technique.

If the technique that I have learned is something I want to continue, that is when I have two projects going at the same time and I need to finish the first project before I continue with the new. This keeps me from building up UFO's. And I have the satisfaction of completion.

I do not have what I consider UFO's. I have many, many quilt tops to quilt. The majority of these are vintage that I have bought or "acquired". I do not consider anything that I have purchased, but not started yet a UFO.

Keep working on one thing at a time and you will be happy.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:46 PM

I have one quilt on the go at any one time, and I finish it before starting another. I have a few random blocks mostly made from scrap pieces of fabric, and there will eventually be enough of these to make a quilt.
I can not justify buying loads of fabric for a 'large stash', it would make me feel ill. I make quilts from random but very pleasing, pieces of fabric bought in charity shops or repurposed. Very occasionally, I will buy anew piece of fabric for binding, or a border, if I cannot find anything to match from my box of treasures.
I like hand stitching, and I generally have something on the go, either red work, or traditional style embroidery.

Yes, pillows are for beds, cushions are for chairs; different shapes too
Old 01-20-2019, 03:03 PM

Oh the good life of quilters! We each have our own drummers beating a different beat. I have UFO's and WIP's. It's such a rush to start a new project, and it's so satisfiying to finish one. Mostly the ones that take more time and become UFO's are a little more difficult, learning a new method, taking a class, or mystery quilts. I am not fast at anything I do. But it is done well and with dedication. Everything I have ever started is completed no matter where the timeframe begins or ends. One thing that has increased the UFO's are leaders and enders. Such a good thing too because those little scraps eventually become a quilt. My stash has increased by all of the quilting of large projects. I am not about to toss the scraps aside and they in turn become usable as leaders and enders and scrappy quilting projects. Isn't it great that one size does not fit all of us. Together we learn and be who we are one piece at a time. Be it personal or quilting large or small projects. Love all of it and those who make up this quiltingboard!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:32 PM

Rhonda Lee...I totally agree, we all beat to a different drum, we are all wired differently. Ellen1, I work similarly as you...too many projects would make me anxious and I know I wouldn’t be as productive.
JanBech, I want to be in your quilting circle. It sounds like you have has some wonderful quilting experiences.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:59 AM

I have followed this thread since it started because it's interesting and it has given me insight into my own quilting habits. It does show how each of us are unique in our habits. I have come to realize that my style tends to be multiple quilts at one time, the pictures I posted in December of the Christmas fabric lap quilts, I had purchased all the fabric at various times over the year, and I kept making quilts until all the fabric was used up. I am currently working in the same manner, will have 7 quilts when I'm done, including two that are scrap quilts from the left overs. To conclude I find a fabric or theme, buy coordinates over time, then when a pattern or technique inspires me I make quilts and use it all up. I work on individual projects in between the batch projects, such as using up scraps, bags, wall hangings, table runners, paper piecing, ect......
Old 01-21-2019, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I didn't think I had a lot of WIP's/UFO until I started shopping my stash for my current project. I have my farmers wife. I came across a Xmas wreath HST about half done. A small set of herons, and sandhill cranes about 2/3's done, and what appears to be two different projects, bagged and blocks of various sizes cut. Unfortunately, there is no pattern in either bag, and my memory is a bit cloudy on "What was I thinking!!". I found a Halloween wall-hanging I should finish. I found three bagged and ready to go projects. My story is that I"m limited to working in my dining room. That means I pack everything up every time we have anyone over, which is once or twice a month. I also get bored/distracted easily. Show me a "shiny bauble" and I'm off working on a different project. I don't have the intensity that many quilters here on the board have. I also have other hobbies I do. Family, grandkids, friends, committees, health issues all get in the way. I think I spend a lot of time working on my projects, I just don't seem to get much done!
You are describing me! Baubles come up every day on my computer, and I always have the very best intentions. . .
Old 01-21-2019, 11:28 AM

When I had a long arm business, I would start a new project if I didn't have any customer quilts to complete. Then here would come a few quilts to complete for others and I would put that project aside. Slack time....start a new project. Start a Block of the Month at the local quilt shop. When you finish the twelve blocks and get the setting kit, there is no rush to finish. Pick up one of my UFOs, here comes someone with the statement, "Can you do a quilt for a benefit auction?" So, I have made a three lists of twelve projects each, including benefit quilts to do during the year. And yes, I work better if I am working on two or more projects on a rotating basis as I get tired of the process, but love the finished product.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:19 PM

always have WIP and UFOs however a member of my sewing group challenged everyone to fnish some Yeah for me 8 done and gifted So happy---still have more