Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ugh.  I am so frustrated >

Ugh. I am so frustrated

Ugh. I am so frustrated

Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 AM

http://www.allaboutapplique.net/cate...late-applique/
Try Kay McKenzie's method (link above). I've tried her back basting and find it faster and easier than making paper templates. She has many books of applique patterns and includes a disc that allows you to resize and print the patterns out.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM

I have tried a variety of hand applique techniques with varying results, mostly disappointing. I have settled on a hybrid technique that works for me. I cut freezer paper templates and iron them on the reverse of my fabric. I then leave the freezer paper on and pinch the seam allowance under all around the piece, and then begin appliqueing using a needle turn technique without removing the freezer paper. The freezer paper gives me an edge to turn my seam allowances against and gives me a much smoother finish than when I do needle turn alone. I sew down the piece all around until I get to about 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch away from where I started. Then I use one of those thingies that you use to tie up a turkey after stuffing it, slipping it between the fabric and freezer paper at the little opening I have left and move it around to release the freezer paper from the fabric. Next I slip a tweezers in the opening and grab hold of the paper and pull it out. I then sew down the opening. The bigger the piece the bigger the opening needs to be to get the paper out at the end. If a piece is odd shaped with several "fingers" I may slice the template into several pieces first, and remove them one at a time as I sew around the entire piece. Good luck with your applique and stick with it! It can be a lot of fun and very enjoyable!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM

http://sentimentalstitches.net/instr...hand-applique/

The above takes you to a tutorial on back-basting applique...
Now, for me, that's double the stitching! I'm just way too lazy to do that!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Thanks for mentioning cutting the pieces on the bias...this really cuts down on the fraying, both for turning under and for fusible applique.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:50 PM

I learned needle turn applique from Pat Campbell, the Jacobean Queen of applique. If you can get her book, the illustrations are wonderful. Just remember that your needle must travel underneath the fabrics until you reach the next point you want to make a stitch. Come out on the top of the fabric and go right back down through the back fabric, putting the needle just under the edge of the piece to be stitched down. Use a tiny stitch to hold the fabric down. I use a # 12 needle to do the applique. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:13 PM

http://applewd.com/blog/?m=200905 suggested by margecam52 is very similar to the method I used in making my avatar wall hanging. (A Big Bouquet of Roses) I have also used Cathy Van Bruggen's methods. (www.cathyvb.com ) I find that using a fine thread (silk or bottom line) with a straw needle, making very small stitches like a blind-stitch works nicely. Practice makes perfect, and while I am not perfect, I am pleased with my work. We have many wonderful appliquers in our guild and they do excellent work using freezer paper, starch method. Good luck and post something you do so we can see, please.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM

She is right -- turn only a few threads at a time. Probably the very best advice. Try something simple, with a long unbroken line, such as slightly curved stems, with no undercuts or sharp points.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cathleen Colson
http://www.allaboutapplique.net/cate...late-applique/
Try Kay McKenzie's method (link above). I've tried her back basting and find it faster and easier than making paper templates. She has many books of applique patterns and includes a disc that allows you to resize and print the patterns out.
This is a very good place to start. She also show backbasting
Old 04-11-2011, 02:57 PM

I have just started doing needle turn applique and some of the things that have helped me improve are: Karen Buckley micro-serrated scissors, straw needles and the Clover Needle Threader, and Superior Threads "The Bottom Line". If you try anything, try the Bottom Line Thread. It is very thin and helps make your stitching less noticeable. Most of all practice, practice, practice! Have fun.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:04 PM

Trace design on freezer paper dull side up don't forget to reverse where needed , cut out pattern and iron with shiney side down on wrong side of fabric , leaving a 1/4 "seam around trim with pinking shears. The p. shears work great because the material goes around easily. Leave a short space and the pull out your paper pattern. For leaves or anything straight you can use the paper shiney side up and iron the 1/4 " seam to the shiney side. Hope this was helpful, oh and don't give up! oops! pull aout the paper pattern after you have sewn it down on your block.