Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UGLY quilt - can you relate? >

UGLY quilt - can you relate?

UGLY quilt - can you relate?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:58 AM

I did a BOM several years ago out of Australian fabric - not me at all! It is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Have the blocks done but am dreading putting it together. Everytime I take it to retreats to work on, we all get a big laugh out of it. The fabrics would be nice with another color but there is absolutely no contrast at all. I must have been on something the day I signed up! Hoping maybe one of my grandsons will like it. I have about 6 BOMs in various stages of completion that I don't like. Sure does make it hard to finish them.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:10 AM

I think we need an Ugly Quilt Show. Last year we had the What Was I Thinking Fabric contest.
Just show us your design boards with a few blocks.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:30 AM

Even though you don't like it, someone else will see great beauty when it is finished.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:41 AM

I like all of my quilts. They're not perfect but I like'em. Most of the ones I make are made from scraps. I did buy some 10" squares to make a 10 Minute quilt for my granddaughter's wedding shower and used the left overs to make a friend's dtr a quilt. Still had left overs so I cut additional squares from my stash & made me a summer quilt.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:16 AM

I agree with many here who say ugly is in the eye of the beholder... but what I have learned is that I keep plugging along. Mainly because if I have a quilt that I don't like.. I can try something new on it. I don't like it anyway so if my new technique doesn't work I am not upset about it. Many here are pros and may not want to try anything new, but I hate to try something new on a quilt that I love. I have done that before and I have been sorry. When I am done I donate them... churches have raffles and love getting quilts for prizes... my sister has a daycare and so she is more than happy to get one that means she doesn't have to buy one
Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 AM

You may be able to salvage the quilt - and still make something you love. Of course it might involve 'frog stitching' (rip it, rip it). I can feel your frustration. I have been there. You can read a story about my UGLY quilt here.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2013/...laid-love.html
Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 AM

I also made an ugly One Block Wonder using some cheap fabric from WalMart that I thought would work well in the hexagons. It was way too busy. But I put it together and brought it on our beach vacation. My DD who is super fussy about color and design sat on it in her bikini and looked lovely. She took it home with her, which made me very happy. It's in the eye of the beholder and also in how it is used.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 AM

Give the ugly quilt to a place that provides essentials for the homeless people. These places always advise to make an ugly quilt for the homeless; a lovely quilt would get stolen.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 AM

I just love reading everyone's thoughts on things. First - it appears that many people have done OBWs that turn out to be their Ugly Quilt. Hmmmm - I've wanted to do a OBW, maybe I'll hold off for awhile! Taking it to someplace for the homeless...Brilliant! I had to do some computer listening yesterday so I started sewing the blocks on this thing together. It might not be as bad as I thought, just not to my taste perhaps. After I get it sewn together I'll post a pic. Do I put it here or start a new thread? And don't think you'll make me feel bad if you say, "you're right, that's an ugly quilt!)
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 AM

Before we moved south, a group of us met on Tuesday nights. Our teacher decided we should all make a table runner. Everyone wanted to except me, so I picked out a pack of fat quarters I did not like from my stash. The runner was made up of log cabin blocks. After it was put together, it didn't look so bad and I really had done a fine job of quilting, so I entered it into our county fair. I won a blue ribbon for it and the judges notes on the entry tag said "considered for best of show." I get a lot of compliments on that table runner, but it's still not pretty to me!