Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
uh oh... did I bite off more than I could chew? **** edited to include after picture! >

uh oh... did I bite off more than I could chew? **** edited to include after picture!

uh oh... did I bite off more than I could chew? **** edited to include after picture!

Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Unique Creations
After reading all of your suggestions about pin, pin, pin, the curved pieces, I can't help but so back to garment construction and wonder if easing the curve with a large gathering stitch, like you would a sleeve cap, would not be easier? Just a thought!!
there is actually no easing (or not much) on the actual seamline - if you use the basting stitch, I'd put it on the edge of the fabric on the quarter square circle) - it would definitely help to keep the excess fabric out of the way. As in sewing a gathered skirt, don't pull/gather the basting thread until after the pieces are pinned together.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:27 AM

[quote=makakehau]Ohmygosh...
(after pic attached)
Is this correct?
Is it CLOSE to correct?
You folks may just be miracle workers.
It's not perfect, but it's way better than I expected on my first try.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!
(doing a quiet happy dance in living room while family sleeps)
Lori

/quote]

looks great for a first time....remember to pin the ends as well as the center and quarter points....
Old 01-15-2011, 05:28 AM

That's lovely. Wish I were breve enough to try that.

Lynn
Old 01-15-2011, 05:44 AM

Congrats!
Looking good!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ktbb
mark the half way point and quarter way points on both the center quarter circle and the matching circle on the PP section, match and pin on the marks then when sewing, ease in the excess. Be sure to pin the ends of the curves as well. You'll get the hang of it after doing a couple. Remember that the seamlines have to come out even, there will be a slight ruffle in the seam allowance of the quarter circle but that will ease in when you press it after stitching.

Edited...to feel a little better, lightly mark in the seam line on both the pieces then lay one over the other matching the seam lines you marked and you;'ll see that they fit together....really!
This is exactly how I do it. I just googled some videos for it and got loads of hits. Here is a link to my google page for what I found. Didn't actually look at any of them but maybe this will help you.
http://www.google.com/#q=How+to+piec...e=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=lboxTdnkK4P88Ab7z4GYCQ&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=11&ved=0CGYQqwQwCg&fp=19e6eaabb3be6fa2