Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uh-Uh....No Way! >

Uh-Uh....No Way!

Uh-Uh....No Way!

Old 01-23-2019, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Not only do I love New York Beauty but I'm a native so I've always wanted to do one but still haven't gotten up the nerve. I hear ya!
Old 01-23-2019, 05:18 PM

I have a whole list that I'm pretty sure that I'll never do, Baltimore Album, Bargello, Rag, Lone Star and anything paper pieced. All of them are too much work for me and I wouldn't even like them that much even if they were done. It's good that we are all so different and there are so many different ways and techniques when quilting. My quilting buddy always laughs at me when I say "That's just not happening in my sewing room".
Old 01-23-2019, 06:18 PM

Psssstttt...NYB isn't that hard.....I was really surprised.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:32 PM

If I love a pattern, I'd give it a try! If it was really intimidating, maybe find someone familiar with the method or design. Break it down and go slow. It's how we learn and grow. Looking at first steps in raw edge applique are nearly painful. I never did learn to love it enough to keep up with it.

On the other hand, if something is completely boring, or colors I dislike, it's like pulling teeth to get me working on it. This is generally what happens when I'm doing something for others. Big, chunky pieces just aren't challenging enough to hold my interest. And who wants to play in colors they don't like when they have oodles of pretties calling out?
Old 01-23-2019, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Psssstttt...NYB isn't that hard.....I was really surprised.
Watson, do I have your word on it?
Old 01-24-2019, 03:08 AM

My no way, no how are the past few Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilts. I just can not face all of those little "parts". I know everyone, well many, say that they are easier than they look. I still look and say lovely and move on to other choices. (I do use many of the other BH patterns.)

I see so many quilt patterns online and in shops that make my heart just soar but I also know my personal skills, time and drive to take on the challenge of many, tiny pieces. I leave them for my other quilting friends.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 01-24-2019 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:12 AM

Those big paper pieced quilts like Judy Niemeyer's are on my "no way" list. I just can't stand to take all that paper out. Also, anything that requires all hand sewing and good eyesight like hexie quilts.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:30 AM

Well, Susie...I did the NYB using the Strip Paper Piecing Method and it wasn't difficult. That's all that I can say.

Watson
Old 01-24-2019, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Watson, do I have your word on it?
I've done three! They are tedious, but not hard!
Old 01-24-2019, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grannies G View Post
Card trick. I made one in my first class and it literally drove me to tears. Then about ten years later I found some really great instructions online and made a whole quilt. Now Elmer’s school glue is my best friend for piecing. My main focus was primarily appliqué for several years making my own patterns and samples. Loved the look of a lot of the longarm quilting so figured if they could do it so could I. Mastered FMQ on my Bernina. Stars are not necessarily my friend but may try one someday. If I like a pattern enough I would at least try a block. Over the years my skills have improved some techniques being better than others. Kind of like saying your kid would never then guess what sure enough they do. So don’t limit yourself. Give it a try.
On Card Tricks- Jenny Doan, among others has a really easy way to make them. That's a pattern I've always loved and her way is very doable.