Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Unable to search...cutting mat?

Unable to search...cutting mat?

I've tried to search and I continue to get blank pages or a message that says "oops........"

I'm wondering about JoAnn's white cutting mat. Does it hold up? I need something for a larger table and saw that and have wondered.

Thanks-
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

I am having the same technical difficulties.

I personally do not have the white cutting mats. My LQS uses them to cover the tables we use to places our sewing machines on. I want to say I read awhile back that these weren't the best cutting mats but I could be wrong.

Blog Entries
    I do not have one but if I remember correctly the one I had a long time ago was not self healing and did not last long.

Our LQS had one when they first opened their store. It was not self healing and only lasted about a year. I wouldn't buy one. If I had a choice between white and green it definately would be the green one that is self healing.
    Lorraine

Thanks ladies......I guess what I'll do is get a couple of larger green mats. I have 1 coupon for this week so I'll use that one and purchase another one at a later time.
    Ginger

I purchased one.. didn't last 6 months. I like the Olfa ( green) I also have a grey mat.. not sure who makes it( purchased many many years ago) .. but it has lasted .

Blog Entries
    I boughtfive one 5 years ago when I first started quilting. I used a 50% off coupon, and have used only that mat ever since. I love it. It has held up so well that I recently bought one for a friend as a gift, and then another to leave in my craft room at our cabin in Michigan. I've had no problems what so ever with them, and would and will recommend them.
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

Hmmm.......what's a gal to do! It wouldn't be a mat I use all of the time. I'd use it to cut large fabric pieces. The area that I work in most of the time is fine for 3/4 yd of fabric. I have found though there are times when I need a bigger area. Currently I take my green mat to use it on a larger table. I really want to get one to just leave there.

Thanks ladies!
    Ginger

Is it the thick white one made by Dritz? I've had two of those for over 30 years and use them for all of my cutting. The reason I have two is so that my dining room table is entirely covered. When they're not on my table I slip them against the wall of my closet, but don't roll them. I've found them to be terrific for cutting strips (I cut a lot of strips) and I definitely use them for measuring.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    I do not have one but if I remember correctly the one I had a long time ago was not self healing and did not last long.
    that's what i've heard, as well
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I had my LQS owner order me a green Olfa mat that was 24x72. It's wonderful because of how big it is. I can have three projects going at the same time on my mat.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I too am in the market for a big mat so this is interesting. When Martha Stewart crafty things came to Michael's I used a 40% coupon for her big gray mat with 1/2 inch grid marks, that folds in thirds. It works great for cutting, but the seams where it folds are coming apart. I want to replace it with something bigger than the big green mat. Our JoAnn's is opening March 9th so I'm going to wait for coupons and maybe give the white one a try.

Ohhh......the 24 x72 sounds interesting. I'll look into that!

Thanks-
    Ginger

Blog Entries
    The white one will dull your blades quickly. Go green!

Ginger- do yourself a favor and dont buy the cheap stuff!! #1 the white cutting mats r not self healing, i.e. piece of junk!
    I love my mats from www.Jerrysartarama.com they are 3x as thick as the ones from Joanns so that means they dont wear out as much. they offer black, green and white and are called creative mark. its an art store, but one of the best purchases I have made in a long time!
    happy hunting!
    katz

Thanks so much for the link! I'll check it out~
    Ginger

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    The white one will dull your blades quickly. Go green!
    I have a tiny cheap white one that I got with a kit, a long time ago. Last year I was using it to cut hexagons, while watching my kids at the pool. I noticed that my rotary blade got dull really fast and thought it was because I was using the Harbor Freight blades for the first time. Come to find out it was the cheap-o mat that was dulling the blade. It's not worth the money that you save by buying one just for the cheaper price. I will only buy the green Olfa mats now.
    ~~Cathy~~