Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Unbelievable find - next steps >
  • Unbelievable find - next steps

• Unbelievable find - next steps

Old 06-17-2018, 07:44 AM

If you are using money, time, and effort to finish this quilt-- why have repaired holes in it? You can't magically make that fabric whole again. If you applique over it, it will just be a bandage. If you replace it, it could look like normal patch work, where a person used scraps of fabric that didn't exactly match. That's okay, it's often done! I'd choose a red that looks similar and it would be a satisfactory solution.

The border is your choice, use your own preference. Besides cutting the edge straight then sewing on the border strip, or appliqueing the top over the border strip, you can also use the method where you face the hexies. Here's a tutorial if you haven't seen that way yet. http://faeriesandfibres.blogspot.com...uilt-with.html
    Old 06-17-2018, 08:34 AM

I think the best way to repair is to remove the hexies and replace. You probably will be more content if you just replace instead of covering it up.
    Old 06-17-2018, 08:39 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I would remove the damaged pieces and replace them. As to the edges—if two edges have already been trimmed to straight (the sides), then trim the other two straight so that they match.
    Old 06-17-2018, 04:11 PM
    Power Poster

I have not done any quilt patching. Sorry I can't help.

Just remember it is yours repair however you want. I would go with easy.
    Old 06-17-2018, 06:50 PM

If it only has 2 rips, then I would agree with most of the other posters and replace the hexies. That wouldn't be a very big job, and the result would be the best.
    Old 06-17-2018, 07:01 PM

Applique replacement pieces over the torn ones. I've heard that a quilt is dated from the newest fabric, and that worn patches should remain to confirm that it has been mended.
    I finished off an apple-core quilt by laying the border under the edges and stitching down a narrow bias strip, so Gay's suggestion of folding under hexagon edges sounds good to me.
    Old 06-18-2018, 02:20 AM
    Power Poster

Those few pieces would be easy to just remove and replace with similar fabric. IMHO, I don't think it has to be a perfect match. repairs are part of the history of the quilt.

You can cut the bottom and top edges to be straight also, just like the sides. As far as the fraying edge, I would use a strip of light weight iron on interfacing around the edge, maybe about two inches wide. Then finish with border/s of your choosing. The interfacing will not interfere with finishing.

What a great find. I love to do this kind of work on found treasures. Keep us posted as you progress with this project.
    peace
    Old 06-18-2018, 04:10 AM

Happy to see this post. I have a GFG that my husband's grandmother or great grandmother (he doesn't know for sure which) pieced. I was wondering how I might finish it. Now I have some suggestions on how to go about it. Thanks.
    Old 06-18-2018, 06:32 AM

I've done this before, I appliqued over the damaged hexi with a hexi of similar color, I did not use a border but I just put binding on it, you can trim the frayed edges and put a white binding on them.
    Old 06-18-2018, 07:31 AM

Have done a wall hanging this way & I like it. Now I think I will do the throw size pieces that I have done all by hand the same way. Then I will have the problem of how to quilt them. THANK YOU for sharing this idea.