Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
unconventional "batting" >

unconventional "batting"

unconventional "batting"

Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 PM

We had four daughters and when they grew up and left home I had a double closet full of wool blazers, slacks, and skirts. I cut them into squares and backed them with a cotton sheet and tied them. Everyone enjoyed those quilts until they fell apart because they were so warm and since they were cotton and wool they sort of breathed so that they didn't get all sweaty when they slept under them. Since there was no batting they were fairly light weight too.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:45 PM

I haven't used these things for quilts but this Christmas I made "Tortilla Warmers" and used old clean towels for "batting". The old terry towel was just the perfect weight and insulation and it made several warmers!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I've also used those quilted mattress pads(not the waterproof ones) and tied them, since most of my quilts are donated and I can't afford to spend tons of money for batting and such.
I'm glad I'm not the only one :oops:
Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 PM

I just bought some fleece remnants to use as batting for a quilted pad for my mom's cat. Yes, her cat and don't ask. The cat needs a flannel pad to sleep on when my mom puts away her flannel bed sheets during the warmer months but the cat still wants flannel to sleep on. Got the flannel at JoAnn's - all their flannel is on sale right now.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:03 PM

I also use old blankets or mattress pads, especially for children's blankets and I use regular batting also in my larger quilts. I have never used an electric blanket tho! Good thought!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Dix

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
I started out recycling old blankets in my quilts which were always tied and lap size. My first hand quilted one was a dresden plate that I bought cotton batting for. My next dresden for my daughter I used polyester. While choosing her purple fabrics, I landed a job at Hancocks teaching the BOM Sampler's Club. I enjoyed doing that for 5 different quilts. I used Hobb's 80/20 in two, but a friend quilted them on her long arm and prefers that. I am going to try bamboo on the next one I put in the frame to hand quilt. One of my favorite quilts that I use most every night is a top I found. I tied it to a sheet as backing, then turned the edges over for binding. Someone had put three of these tops out on top of the trash bin! {the bin was empty, so they were put on top to be found} It was my treasure! Some blocks were hand pieced and some were machine pieced. They were all scrappy and old.
I am just finishing hand quilting a queen size quilt with bamboo batting. I ordered it on line, but was still quite expensive. I can not tell any difference in the bamboo and any other batting I have used. When I started quilting we used the Hobbs 80/20 and is still my preference for quilts. You might like the Quilters Dream also. I love that for baby quilts.

Dix
Old 03-24-2010, 05:34 AM

my first quilt was entirely made from men's plaid shirts I bought at Goodwill. I loved the variety of plaids and the quality of the fabric. I actually started a trend in my guild -- not bad for a beginner. Someday, when I get the quilt finished, I will post a photo.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:56 AM

I buy blankets at Dollar General . You can get a queen size for just 8.00.There not very lofty,but they are the warmest quilts ,and they,re great for machine quilting.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
My ex-husbands grandmother used old blankets in hers. They were so thick that once they were on top of you, you could not move. Now that's a warm blanket.
And how!

My DH's grandma made quilts from suiting scraps (which are heavy in their own right!) she got from a factory. I have no idea what she used for batting, but one literally NOT move under this quilt! BTW, she also pieced the backs of these quilts with suiting fabric! I think we still have one...I'll try to find it and post a pic...
Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureready
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
My ex-husbands grandmother used old blankets in hers. They were so thick that once they were on top of you, you could not move. Now that's a warm blanket.
Mom made those and made denim or corderoy(sp?) tops. They weighed about 50 lbs I think, :lol: , but they sure kept us warm in that old farm house. Momma also backed one of my quilts by piecing together all my receiving blankets. 50+ years later I still have that one although it's better days have long since passed.
have often thought to do this ,presume too thick to quilt, so must tie??
do subscribe to reuse of everthing if possible, afterall the original quilting ladies did.