Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Underground Railroad Quilt >

Underground Railroad Quilt

Underground Railroad Quilt

Old 08-01-2010, 08:30 PM

We had a presenter at one of our quilt guild meetings that talked about how it isn't true. They know when certain blocks were created and it was long after the underground railroad. Now a really cool book I saw today was a Hobo quilt book...not Hobo symbols are real and used....I really wanted the book, but it is pricey. Either way I'm sure she will love anything you make for her!
Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 PM

You can find Hobo symbols online. Sometimes there are similar or several symbols used to mean the same thing. This could be symbols from different parts of the country or it could just be poor drawing skills of some of the hobos. Whatever it is, it's interesting.
As far as the Underground RR quilt, it's possible or even highly probably that sometimes a specific quilt (more than likely it was a certain color combination) was hung out to signal that the coast was clear or vice versa (remember, signals had to appear as normal as possible), to say it was specific blocks, well, that's a lot harder to believe. The signals also had to be inconspicuous at night yet still visible since nighttime was the only safe time to move. What better than a quilt hanging in the moonlight? The real question is: Does it really matter? We can't prove or disprove either, so make the quilts, their beauty will be appreciated for years to come. If you want to call your's an underground RR quilt then do it. If you don't then call it something else. It doesn't mean that you can't use the blocks or make the quilt. And, if you want to make one it also shouldn't matter what my opinion or anyone else's is. It's your creation, so your opinion is the only one that really matters.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Isn't it more of a "we don't know for sure" kinda thing? I could be wrong. Just going off of National Geographic. :)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...avequilts.html
Yes, I think you're right. We're just not sure, & no one remains that can answer the question!
Personally, I like the EB QID book the best. Not everyone likes her style, but she gives accurate directions & her techniques always work!
Good luck! - it may become your fav quilt:)
Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by miholmes
Isn't it more of a "we don't know for sure" kinda thing? I could be wrong. Just going off of National Geographic. :)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...avequilts.html
nope, we know for sure - read historians, not quilters.
Try Barbara Brackman's book of blocks, or Carrie Hall's.
Hobo symbols thru googling them. I own the book though Lord knows where it is in my cluttered life.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:34 AM

I have the book Hidden in Plain View. In the back of the book it has 5 pages of Quilt Code Patterns.(12 blocks)
If you would like these blocks send me a pm.
I personally believe there were quilts used in the underground railroad. There is so much reference to them it seems odd that
all the information would be made up.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Suz

When we lived in Shepherd Park of Washinton, DC, a neighboring house was the former of the first DC governor, Boss Shepherd. Boss Shepherd was a Negro. Story has it that there was a tunnel into the basement of his home that ran all the way from the Potomac River. It was to have been part of the Underground Railroad. Fact or Fiction? Don't know, but an interesting story.

The white Shepherd House stood out from the other homes as it was the only home in the Park made of clapboard. All of the other homes were of brick and/or stone with slate roofs.
The original deed also read that the homes in the Park were not to be sold to Negroes. Incidentally, we were one of two families on our street that were white; the others were all Negroes. Wonderful, quiet, and pleasant neighbors and neighborhood!

Suz
Old 08-02-2010, 06:04 AM

MHO
I have made the UGR quilt, I don't care if it is or is not true, I choose to believe it is true. I choose to believe.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 AM

I have enjoyed reading every bit of this thread/post. I believe there is more history in quilting than we will ever know. Every vintage quilt tells a story and has a history, whether or not it was recorded/documented. Have some of the stories been embellished? Could be, but my guess is there is some basis of truth/fact behind every story told. I choose to believe that these quilts are a unique part of our quilting heritage and will enjoy every story being told. Isn't that part of the joy of quilting??? This has been a great debate.....let's keep it a debate and not an argument of who is right or who is wrong. There IS middle ground were the stories originated, I'm sure.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Banned

The Underground Railroad refers to symbols that were posted at welcoming houses as slaves fled North.
People often believe what feels good to them, but the quilt story is a myth.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lori L
I have enjoyed reading every bit of this thread/post. I believe there is more history in quilting than we will ever know. Every vintage quilt tells a story and has a history, whether or not it was recorded/documented. Have some of the stories been embellished? Could be, but my guess is there is some basis of truth/fact behind every story told. I choose to believe that these quilts are a unique part of our quilting heritage and will enjoy every story being told. Isn't that part of the joy of quilting??? This has been a great debate.....let's keep it a debate and not an argument of who is right or who is wrong. There IS middle ground were the stories originated, I'm sure.
Good comment!! I'm with you on this one - surely there is SOME fact behind the lore. But regardless of what we discover as truth in the hereafter, let's respect each others' opinions here. Even if we don't agree w/each other - we can agree to disagree. No hard feelings that way.