Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
underground railroad quilt >

underground railroad quilt

underground railroad quilt

Old 06-05-2010, 10:11 AM

Guess I'll have one of my "kids" show me how to post a picture of my URR quilt. I'm sure it is easy. Just need a "show me how"
Old 06-05-2010, 10:13 AM

We are 6 in my quilting group who are now quilting a Dear Jane Quit. I haave finished 7 blocks.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by memereof8
Guess I'll have one of my "kids" show me how to post a picture of my URR quilt. I'm sure it is easy. Just need a "show me how"
Click on reply to my post. Below the message window you'll see "file attachments.
Below that is a browse button. Click on the browse button and another window will open up. Use that window to navigate on your hard drive to the location where your photos are. Find the photo, click on it to select it and it will attach to the email. You'll see text showing in the smaller of the two little box/windows. In the long one you can type in a file name such as URR quilt or whatever. You can attach up to 3 photos using this window. I you need to attach more, you'll need to hit send and click then click on reply again to add another photo and do this until you've added all that you wish to to your post. Hopefully this will help you figure it out. If not, you can copy/paste my post into a word pad file or blank email, print it out to have it in front of you when you try to do this or one of your kids try to help you. It really is very easy to do and you can do it; especially since I assume you'll just need to upload one, it's easy so go for it.
Hugs
Patty
Old 06-05-2010, 03:15 PM

The Tulsa quilt show just had a "slave quilt" on display. Very interesting. It seemed to be a whole cloth quilt w/ burlap batting and plaid backing. The stitching was just straight across, but seemed to serve the purpose of quilting. Of course, they can't really document it, but had a ring of truth to it.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i made 2 underground railroad sampler quilts, one in 1800's repo fabrics (which i have to be honest and say is still blocks, some with sashing strips living in a pizza box) the 2nd one i made in 1930's fabrics, white back ground...it turned out very pretty and was sold i think the day i finished it and showed it off at a little festival in town...the darker one? well, every once in awhile i get the box out, look through the blocks and think...i should finish this some day; problem with that one? well, the fabric i decided to use for sashing...not enough...and maybe...just not my thing....some day maybe i'll just send it off to someone else to do something with...hmmmmmm there is a thought.
me me send it to me!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I would take anything and everything anyone has that they don't want if it CW. ;) ;) ;)
Old 06-05-2010, 06:34 PM

I too have Eleanor's book The Underground Railroad Quilt. I have been intrigues by it for a couple years. When I first joined the board here several of the members had just finished making this and I have always wanted to make one since. Maybe it is time to think of starting this one again if there is enough interest. I bought the fabrics to do it in and thought it would be neat to piece and quilt it by hand.
What does everone think.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:27 AM
Banned

I never heard the story. God bless. Penny
Old 06-06-2010, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by penny doty
I never heard the story. God bless. Penny
Google "Ozella McDaniel Williams" and "quilts and the Underground Railroad."

This should give you a good idea of what the "story" is. Ms. Williams' story is a great story. There are claims that it is how the slaves who were escaping to freedom used quilts as signals that led those fleeing to safety in the north. Others claim that it is a myth. Personally I don't know if it is "true" or not, but I love the story. Eleanor Burns has a book that tells the story and has all of the patterns of the different blocks that were supposedly used in different quilts used as signals. It makes a lovely quilt. I made a top in reproduction fabrics, but it still waits being quilted.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by AkAngel
I too have Eleanor's book The Underground Railroad Quilt. I have been intrigues by it for a couple years. When I first joined the board here several of the members had just finished making this and I have always wanted to make one since. Maybe it is time to think of starting this one again if there is enough interest. I bought the fabrics to do it in and thought it would be neat to piece and quilt it by hand.
What does everone think.
Sounds like you're ready to go so go for it.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:34 AM

Myth or Not??

You know that much of history today is being proclaimed as "never happened, made up, falsified, myth" and that includes the holocaust. Even though there is a lot of documentation in the form of film and photos plus eye witness accounts, there are a lot of people claiming this NEVER happened but our soldiers who went in and rescued these survivors know differently. Many have lost loved ones in our military who went in to do this rescue yet there is a large movement saying "it never happened."

I suspect there is truth to the story. Perhaps the quilts weren't used all over but I believe they were used in enough areas for so many to be believing it even though it's difficult to prove either way today. I've personally met survivors of the holocaust so I do know beyond a doubt it happened. We also know that there was a huge underground railroad system and I lived in an area in IL that had several of the homes that were used. I no long live there so am not in a position to go do some researching but the history in those areas have been well kept, remembered and treasured. There are efforts made to try and preserve those old homes.

Guess we'll each believe what we want to believe and that's ok especially since there appears to be no concrete proof either way but much of history has been handed down by story tellers all through time.