Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
underground railroad quilt >

underground railroad quilt

underground railroad quilt

Old 06-04-2010, 06:44 AM

I like that book too. Maybe I should start trading some of my books, I'll never have the time to make all the ones I want to.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:04 AM

I agree with Debo, I belive in Santa and the Easter bunny and Mickey Mouse has been a favorite also
Old 06-04-2010, 07:06 AM

Good Morning, I havet he Eleanor Burnes ugrr book and I am going to start on it this summer, I have all the material and am looking forward to being able to sit and sew all, day.
I think it is a beautiful quilt and that is what matters to me, maybe they did use quuilts for directions, it makes sence to me. Some Men would not have a notion what the quilt ment but the women would. I think is is a nice story,
Old 06-04-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Like all historical "stories", I believe this one starts with the truth and then gets 'morphed' into a more interesting tale...
I recently read somewhere that women made log cabin quilts with black centers to hang outside indicating that the home was a "runaway" safe haven. That I believe. That entire "sampler" quilts were made with the blocks being instructions? Heh! Not so much. Remembering that the slaves, for the most part, were uneducated, and that human nature itself says that not everyone was good at puzzles, I have trouble believing the later...also, many whites of the time, even tho they had sympathy for the slaves and wanted to help, believed that blacks were simpletons, and to expect them to remember what the secret meanings of 12 quilt blocks were would have been beyond their comprehension. I think everything would have been kept much less complicated as the log cabin quilts with the black centers indicates.
I believe that instructions for escaping slaves would have been given one step at a time, since things were constantly changing as the "underground rail stations" were discovered and "closed"

Just my not so humble opinion! ;) :lol:
Not to mention, don't you think slave owners would have caught on!Check this website http://historiccamdencounty.com/ccnews11_doc_01a.shtml
Old 06-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Banned

I think this is a topic now worth retiring
If you want to believe it - believe it
If you want to believe historians - don't believe it
Amen
Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 PM

I am working on a jelly roll quilt now for one of my great grandaughters, and the other quilt is for the other one. I love the jellyrolls, they make up sso pretty and with lots of different designs. when I get it finished I will try to post a picture, I still have not got my pictures to post.
what is your thoughts on jelly rolls?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM

I read The Lost Quilter and it's a wonderful story whether true or not.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:57 PM

i'll be visiting the area next week, can you tell me where it is? ([email protected])
Old 06-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chrickett
I am working on a jelly roll quilt now for one of my great grandaughters, and the other quilt is for the other one. I love the jellyrolls, they make up sso pretty and with lots of different designs. when I get it finished I will try to post a picture, I still have not got my pictures to post.
what is your thoughts on jelly rolls?
I've never purchased any jelly rolls, but I have read from lots of quilters on this board that widths vary widely, so I guess you have to be careful.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:41 PM

It's nice to have faith in something rich with personal meaning. It is quite another thing to spread misinformation.

It's not a fairytale. We're talking about revising history here. Embellishing it for reasons uncertain (although there have been those who profited, I'm certain that is not the foundation). Children get too much of that now. Why add more?

No one should attempt to prove a negative. It's not up to the naysayers to prove a negative. It's up to the believers to provide proof or just stand by while others shoot down 30 yr old theories until none are left.

There may be a truth the size of a pebble. Not Pebble Beach. A pebble. *I believe* a disservice is done to the pebble when you don a bikini to go visit it.

I am a descendant of folks who moved west prior to the worst period of the south, thanks in part to Moravian education and assistance. Any Moravian dedicated quilt blocks out there? I'll go have a look. How about any Black Indian quilt blocks? I'll look for that, too.

I also think it's a bit silly to "p*** into the wind," as my grandfather would say. So, I'll stop complaining about urban myths now. I'm off to wait for the man with the hook to pull on my car door...