Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Understanding Fabric Requirements.... >

Understanding Fabric Requirements....

Understanding Fabric Requirements....

Old 11-14-2019, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DedeWarren View Post
Thanks Susie... No, when I add all the yardage it adds up to 14 1/2. Is it normal for pattens to require so much fabric?
The answer to your question is no. I'm really stumped on this one!
Old 11-14-2019, 05:54 AM

Need to see the pattern and instructions to give an accurate answer.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I have made queen sized quilts that required 27 yards of fabric. It depends on the pattern - I think it is normal to need somewhere between 10 & 20 yards of fabric for a bed sized quilt.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:07 AM

As a rough guide, I figure 10-12 yards of fabric for the top of a queen sized quilt. Backing is another 6 yards (minimum) or 3 yard cut of a appropriate wide width.

Sure, you can make a quilt with less than that. Or more. Tiny triangles can have almost as much fabric in the seams as shown on the front.

So when you are confronted by an absolutely magnificent piece of fabric and don't know what you want to do but that you must buy it, think of it in terms of proportion of 12 yards. If it is going to be background or main focus, 6 yards. I mostly buy 3 yard pieces but I'm trying not to buy new fabric any more, working out of my stash. I do shop thrift stores as something different than "new" fabric

And remember, it's better to have half a yard fabric too much than 2 inches not enough!
Old 11-14-2019, 08:08 AM

That is way too much! Only reason would be if the pattern is some sort of bizarre fussy cut thing. The way to figure it out if you are a visual person is to cut out a block on paper and then use the pieces (with seam allowance) to lay out on a yard of fabric. See how many you can get from that yard and then multiply by the number of blocks needed. Even for a plain backing - 68 x 90 - you could get by with 2 pieces of 42" fabric that are 2 3/4 yds long. So you could use as little as 5 1/2 for backing. Using this idea 14 1/2 for top is nuts!
Old 11-14-2019, 08:17 AM

The other thing to keep in mind is not all fabric is entirely used in the construction of the project. It is the rough yardage required of how many ever colors or patterns of fabric.

Modern techniques of ruler/rotary cutting often leave unused ends, I also strip piece so have leftover strips sewn together as well.

Sizes of blocks or pieces can make things not cut well, especially if your fabric comes in a little short. Due to far too many bad experiences, I only figure on 40" of usable WoF (width of fabric) and when buying I buy a quarter yard too much (again, too much is better than not enough). There can be cutting mistakes, either by you or the shop, plus I wash my fabric and tear along the grain to get the true edge. Almost always have a 2-4" strip cut off grain.

Anyway, point of all of that is if you have something like 16" alternate squares, you can only get two of those per width (32"), so you could have a long strip of unused fabric that is too narrow.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:37 AM

First off...welcome to the Quilting Board!

I ran into this too when I really started looking at patterns, could't figure out the math. There can be many variables depending on the pattern. Each pattern designer may calculate yardage differently and may be giving estimates to leave enough for mistakes. However size of the pieces of the blocks will really determine how much yardage you might need.

To give you an example; on another thread we are discussing a mystery quilt that will finish 82 x 82. The estimated yardage is 13 yards but the designer has a lot of smaller blocks and pieces. As strange as it sounds the bigger the block, the less yardage you will probably need.

As other's have said, if you post the pattern (or a link to the pattern) someone should be able to help a little more.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:44 AM

If I had to guess there is alot of small pieces and seams. Last year I did Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt in solids and purchased the yardage. One of the sections was strings of various oranges, since I only had one orange, I needed only larger rectangles which required less fabric. I'm still going thru orange. Even my DH commented that I must be going thru an orange stage.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:09 PM

Yes, I think we need to know what quilt the pattern is for. Can you post a link, or give us the name of the quilt?

Hopefully the OP will come back and respond....
Old 11-14-2019, 03:49 PM

Hi Dede
I'm glad you found this board. There are so many wonderful, smart and helpful people here, and lots of inspiration to soak up.

You might enjoy playing with these fabric calculators:

http://quiltersparadiseesc.com/Calculators/Pieces%20to%20Yardage%20Area%20Calculator.php

http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/Calculators.php

http://phoebemoon.com/tutorials/calculate-fabric.htm

and here is another fun site with free patterns, how tos, and lots of resources for you check out:

http://mywebquilter.com/(X(1)A(FruAd...ookieSupport=1

Last edited by mindless; 11-14-2019 at 04:06 PM.