Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
unfinished quilts >

unfinished quilts

unfinished quilts

Old 10-24-2009, 02:53 PM

Baste them! Once it's basted, I am more likely to pick it up and work on it.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:52 PM

Even if you don't want them machine quilted, you can have a machine quilter baste them for you, then they are ready to go. You just pull out BIG stitches as you quilt, no poky pins to work around.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:37 AM

I have a friend in Greers Ferry Ar that has a long arm machine. I take all my quilts to her and if I want to hand quilt one f them she bastes it on her machine for a very small $ and if it is for grandchildren that will get a lot of use I just have her machine quilt them. lucky me to have a friend like her.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by zkosh
...I have so many projects in process, but I am having trouble getting myself to finish them. I spend too much time looking at ideas, patterns, and new fabrics, and not enough time working on them. ...
Right there with you. My quilting buddy came over yesterday to sew. Instead we hit three quilt stores. However when we got back, she MADE me pull out my UFOs -- it was not pretty!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:28 AM

great idea. Thanks! now all I have to do is put them together lee
Old 10-25-2009, 09:31 AM

Ahaw!! I see you trick !!Who can quilt for 15 min. Thanks Lee
Old 10-26-2009, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
...I have so many projects in process, but I am having trouble getting myself to finish them. I spend too much time looking at ideas, patterns, and new fabrics, and not enough time working on them. ...
Right there with you. My quilting buddy came over yesterday to sew. Instead we hit three quilt stores. However when we got back, she MADE me pull out my UFOs -- it was not pretty!

Gotta love that friend!!:)LOL
Old 10-26-2009, 03:14 AM

Thanks for bringing this up! I have so many projects in process, but I am having trouble getting myself to finish them. I spend too much time looking at ideas, patterns, and new fabrics, and not enough time working on them. I need someone to make me get busy! :evil: The ideas in my head are great, but not if they don't get done! I think I hold myself hostage sometimes, putting other things first. I'm glad to have you guys here to listen, also. I needed to put this into words and maybe get my focus back. :? And mine aren't even handpieced so I don't have that excuse. :!:
I find that most of the time I stall on a project because of something I don't like about it or after starting it, I might not care too much for it:)But,here's what I do to keep on track...I put my project w/book(or pattern), fabric and what is done on this...all in a basket or plastic container...I then label w/paper on the outside what it is...then stick on a sticky note on the label what may either need to be done (such as...binding...need fabric for border, etc) That way when I run to a fabric store,etc I pull the sticky note and will finish that one project:) Most of my UFO's are something simple to finish...and, I might have been bored w/it so up it was put away (but, still in sight!)...then I make myself about every 6m or so clean up all those loose ends:)Skeat This works out great too if you want to work on blocks one day and applique the next...
Old 10-26-2009, 03:32 AM

Putting the 3 layers together is what usually stalls me but once I get past that job then I find that I don't mind working on it a little bit each day. Are you able to have a space to keep the project, and all of it's supplies, in a handy place so that it's convenient to take it out to work on?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:07 AM

Great idea but I would never have fhought of it because my Grand mother had 2 daughters freeze to death comingchome from schoo in a pung, She raised me.She had quilts 2 inches think that she covered with flannel every couple years and tied. When she put me to bed I had better be where I wanted to spend the night becaus I couldn't turn over. I wonder what the original quil under all of that looked like. I may just have my grand daughter who will get this quil but doesn't know it help me dtie it Thanks Lee